Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP PAVILION doesn't see HDDs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gregoryd

gregoryd

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:03 PM

HP Pavilion 6540C. Can't tell you much more because I didn't write it down. The kids were screwing around on the net and the next day I have continuous re-boot. I said screw it and threw in a HDD that I just loaded XP Pro on. I also tried a Seagate Medalist 6424 that I wiped and installed a fresh copy of XP Pro on.. I get the BIOS screen after about 15 minutes but I get a bus 3 ?? error.
Now it won't recognize any hard drive. There is no F8 or F12. It was working fine the day before I removed the hard drive, with the power disconnected, I might add. I've done this before with other machines and had no probs. WTF???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:21 AM

Error message?

If you can duplicate it's appearance...do so and write it down and post same.

Louis

#3 gregoryd

gregoryd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:06 AM

Hi Louis.
No error message. It was just the HP start up screen and then a beep and then a black screen with a flashing underscore in the top left hand corner.
I got into BIOS and it wouldn't show the hard drive. I've changed the cable from the HDD directly to the MoBo instead of the way it was originally configured which was the dual cable from the CD drive and then to the hard drive. Now the BIOS says, yes, I see that HDD. And still, after the start up screen I get the black screen with the flashing underscore, line or whatever you wish to refer to it as but pushing any key just makes beeps and nothing more. It's weird because until now nothing has ever been reconfigured on this machine. I like to blame the kids but for what ever reasons may have been involved, this pooter has seen it's share of hard drives come and go and I've never before had a problem installing a new drive. Until now.....

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:35 AM

The black screen with cursor in upper left corner...is a typical fixmbr situation, Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

If you MBR is messed up, that may be why the BIOS sees the drive, but Windows cannot.

http://askbobrankin.com/fix_mbr.html

If you don't have a Microsoft XP CD (which contains the Recovery Console...which gives access to the fixmbr command), you can download an .iso version of the Recovery Console and burn it to CD. The result will be a bootable CD you can use to access RC commands (which is useful, IMO). This can be done on any system, since yours cannot boot into XP.

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

Louis

#5 gregoryd

gregoryd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:37 PM

I have the CD but even going into BIOS and setting it up to boot from the CD it just goes to the black screen.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

OK...there's something else we can try. Note: Disconnect the power cord from the system before attempting to remove the CMOS battery.

Every desktop has a little battery in it, probably spec'd for CR 2032. These are available anywhere batteries are sold for electronics of any type, cost less than $5.

Replace the battery, insuring that you put it in with the appropriate side up/out...it's hard to get wrong, since there are only 2 sides.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

If you don't want to replace the battery...there is no guarantee that replacing it will change anything, it's just something I would do...then you need to remove it for a short period, then put it back in with the correct side and without damaging the clip that retains it in place. Then see if the system will boot the CD.

My reasoning for replacing it...the CMOS/BIOS is not behaving normally (IMO).

I'm assuming that you burned the .iso file into a bootable CD correctly. If not, then it won't ever boot, even if the BIOS/CMOS is functioning properly. If possible, you should test it on another system. This probably ought to be done before anything else.

Louis

#7 gregoryd

gregoryd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:33 PM

I'll try that now. I actually have an XP Pro OS Disc. Full program and a legal one at that.
I've had it for some years now. I've used it many times.
I'll replace the battery and get back to you.

Thank you.
Greg

#8 gregoryd

gregoryd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:02 PM

The new battery didn't do anything so I said what the hell and wired it back up the way it was in the first place. After a couple false starts it let me boot from disc so I wiped the drive and did a fresh XP install. Seems to be working now. I'll soon have to break down and buy something made after 1947.

Thanks for your help.
Greg

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:56 PM

LOL, glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users