Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive won't detect inserted disk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:37 PM

Hi, my mates just asked me this below but i don't know what to tell him, any suggestions?

For some reason my hard drive has stopped recognising a game disk which I've inserted, it keeps saying "Please insert disk".
The drive recognises other disks, just not this particular one, although its always recognised it before.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:48 PM

Clean it...wash it with a little water, dry it with cloth moving vertically/horizontally (not in circles), using soft cotton cloth (T-shirt).

Louis

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:07 PM

Will tap water do, or do you recommend bottled? And what temperature? And does vertically/horizontally mean in relation to the centre hole?
Would an old sock do instead of a t-shirt?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:19 AM

Horizonatlly/vertically means...do not use a circular motion, go across the disk face in straight lines.

As for material, that's up to you. I use T-shirts, since I have plenty of those around and I know that they are less abrasive than most other materials I have at hand.

I use plain water, inconsequential whether warm/hot/cold. I have used Windex/glass cleaner and alcohol also. The idea is to remove materials which might interfere with the disks ability to be read properly.

Louis

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:56 PM

Thanks, but there's been a startling new development- my mate now says some of his other disks are not being recognised either, even though they've worked perfectly til now.
It's beginning to look like his drive itself is malfunctioning, is there anything you'd prescribe for it?

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 31 July 2009 - 02:57 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:37 PM

Replacement?

With certain computer components...life doesn't get better with age, once problems start. That probably is one reason for the rapid turnover of computer parts inventories (that plus the fact that newer features, newer technologies seem to be blooming all the time).

With the price of optical drives/burners these days and the expected lifetime of such...IMO, it's hardly worthwhile to think of doing anything extensive other than replacing them.

You can always try the routine things...clean the lens with a disk (which will probably cost almost as much as a new drive), remove upper/lower filters...but they just die without warning all too often.

You start off by talking about hard drive failure to recognize a disk. If you are talking a CD/DVD, it's not the hard drive that's at fault, it's the optical drive. If the optical drive cannot read, then XP cannot be targeted for that.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users