Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access 2007 occasionally opens as Read Only!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jwilliams

jwilliams

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:09 PM

I have several Access database files on a network server. The Access database files were created in Access 2003/XP. The database files are access by two users. One user has Office 2007 and the other has Office XP. Occasionally, when the user who has Office 2007 opens a database file, it is Read Only... (This recordset is not updatable. You must save a copy). For this user, all database files also opens as Read Only. Before the Office 2007 user can make changes or update data, a copy of the database file must be saved. This must also be done for each database file on the network that this user accesses. Over the past 6 months, I have saved the database files (with a different name) a few times. After which, the database files are OK until a month or so later. The user with Office 2003 doesn't experience any probems with the database during the time.

I have done some searching on the particular problem but haven't found much. Much of what I found was make sure the file(s) are not marked read only and the locked file for the database was not still active. I've checked each time and the files are not read only and the locked database files were not hung up.
The other user is always able to access and update the database files without any problems.

Is there something in Access 2007 that I am missing or don't have set properly?

Thank you,
Janet

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Richie Moore

Richie Moore

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:33 AM

This is probably a lack of access permissions in the SHARE portion of the shared folder/drive properties.
There are two permissions that have to be set for users to have read/write permissions (required for db modification).
Drive or folder Security, and
Share permissions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users