Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home reformat

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 klmnumbers

klmnumbers

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

Ok, I recently had a pretty terrible infection that we cleaned up here at BC. based on their advice and the fact that I actually FOUND my Xp reinstall disk, I reformatted.

Except the disk I had was from my computer in 2002. So, I originally had XP Media Center and now have XP Home 2002 (SP1). Now, I know I can and should download SP2 and SP3. So, I'm working on that as we speak.

I'm wondering if I'll have any issues updating drivers because I have a different OS now. I also want to know if there is any way to root through my hardware to figure out WHICH sound/video drivers I need. The only driver I've reinstalled following the reformat is my network adapter (clearly).

So, basically:
1. Can anyone help me figure out which drivers I need (Dell Dimension E521 - and I've checkrf their website. I have no idea WHICH of the available ones I need)
2. Is there a way to remove XP Media Center from my boot options? Every time I restart, I have to choose between XP Media (which no longer exists) and XP home.
3. My mouse and keyboard randomly stop working, and the only way to get them working again is to reboot. is there a reason for this?
4. My screen is oddly non-reactive. IE, when scrolling using the scrollwheel, my screen loads webpages slowly. Not the page itself, but the view as I attempt to scroll. Is this due to a lack of video card being installed? Or is something else wrong?

Thank you.

Edited by klmnumbers, 30 July 2009 - 06:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:20 PM

To correct the boot.ini file (remove Media Center), Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm

E521 XP drivers, http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

To detemine which ones you need...you need to do two things:

a. Take a look in Device Manager. Anything with a yellow marking indicates that a driver is needed.

b. Find out which specific components are installed in your desktop. You can try this program to do so: System Spec- Portable System Information Utility - http://www.alexnolan.net/software/sysspec.htm

Do not download any diagnostic utilities (at this time) from the Dell download page.

Louis

#3 klmnumbers

klmnumbers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:32 PM

Ok. I took care of the first part. In reference to device manager, the only drivers that are needed are the PCI device, SM Bus Controller, and Video Controller (VGA compatible).

there is no mention of sound drivers anywhere. But when I try and play music, it says my drivers aren't installed. I went ahead and downloaded the program you listed to try and figure it you, but I just wanted to let you know.

Any thoughts on my mouse/keyboard randomly crapping out on me or the terrible FPS I seem to be having when trying to scroll through a webpage quickly? I never had these problems before the reformat.

Thank you, and I'll get back to you after seeing if the program helps me pick up the drivers.

ETA - for sound card, it says: "Not detected"

Edited by klmnumbers, 30 July 2009 - 07:35 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:41 PM

Let's go in stages...rather than try to solve everything at once :thumbsup:.

Well...your chipset drivers may be damaged, as might the mouse and keyboard drivers.

In any case, it won't hurt to uninstall those...and then reboot and reinstall them (if XP doesn't reinstall them automatically).

The mouse and keyboard drivers are XP drivers, so I know they will reinstall automatically.

The chipset drivers may be a different story but they can be found at the Dell link I posted. There are 2 listed there, you need to download/install both.

If you click on the ones labeled Chipset...you will see that the SM Bus is one of the two listed.

After that's done, check Device Manager for any more indications of problems.

The PCI Device you mentioned...is probably the sound card/chip. Device Manager uses that term to refer to unknown functions that need to be installed.

Louis

#5 klmnumbers

klmnumbers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

I keep trying to download the chipset drivers, and it just keeps downloading some program that is 9.3 MB. Then when i double click, it's saying that I've not selected anything to download. =/ I'm trying not to punch my computer. I just want to get it working OK since I'm moving in two days. =(

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:56 AM

There is no reason to use the download manager, elect the option to download via your browser.

The other file is a direct download, minus the download manager option.

Louis

#7 klmnumbers

klmnumbers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:00 PM

There is no reason to use the download manager, elect the option to download via your browser.

The other file is a direct download, minus the download manager option.

Louis

I keep trying to, but it automatically uses the download manager. I even used ATF to delete all my cookies and whatnot, and it's still trying to use the download manager..=/ In fact, I can't even use the + pull down menu. Like when I click the + next to Chipset, it doesn't open the menu below it. And when I go to the chipset page, I click download, and nothing happens.

Ack. Have I ruined my computer somehow?

Edited by klmnumbers, 31 July 2009 - 03:05 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:10 PM

I don't know.

I do know that I downloaded the drivers you need with no problems over 7 hours ago...just to see how easy it was.

Louis

#9 vincesda

vincesda

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:15 PM

hello how to reformat my windows Xp because its slow when i open the icons...Thanks

hello how to reformat my windows Xp because its slow when i open the icons...Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users