Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Check disk consistency after power failure, freezes

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 chevyeuro

chevyeuro

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:34 PM

My power went out for ten seconds yesterday, and when my desktop computer re-booted, I got a message saying drive D (hard drive) had to be checked for disk consistency. It passes the test and the desktop appears. Then the whole computer freezes. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? Once the desktop appears, the whole computer freezes so I can't access anything.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

I suggest trying to boot into safe mode.

If successful, then initiate a chkdsk /r on the boot drive.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between k and /) and hit Enter.

Type Y in response to onscreen message and hit Enter.

Reboot the system. The chkdsk /r will run before the system boots to the desktop. After the chkdsk /r has completed, the system will boot into XP automatically.

Louis

#3 chevyeuro

chevyeuro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:31 AM

Thanks, Louis.

I tried that, and it did the complete check, but it still freezes once the desktop screen appears. Further, before it freezes, the computer says drive D needs to be checked for file consistency, but the chkdsk /r only checks the C drive. Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:41 AM

My error...the command should be chkdsk D: /r to run on the D: partition.

FWIW: D: is usually the optical drive and that's what I assumed, not paying attention to what you previously posted.

You might also check Event Viewer for any errors referring to Disk0, Disk1, etc. and post the details of such.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#5 chevyeuro

chevyeuro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:51 AM

I ran the check disk for drive D, and received no errors.

I looked at the event viewer, and the following errors came up under the "system" sub menu:

The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service whick failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

The DNS client service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service....the rest of the sentence is the same as above.

The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the AFD service....same as above.

The IPSEC Services service depends on the IPSEC driver service...same as above.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
BHDrvx86
ccHP
eeCtrl
ElbyCDIO
Fips
IDSxpx86
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
Processor
RasAcd
Rdbss
SRTSPX
SYMTDI
Tcpip
WS2IFSL

That's all that came up. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:31 PM

OK, thanks.

Take a read here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/dhcp.htm

FWIW: It's always a good idea to allow yourself to see full filenames in XP. Otherwise, it makes it difficult to really track files. So I suggest that, if you haven't already done so, you enable the viewing of all files, including system and hidden.

You can do this by following the directions for XP at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows/

Something is wrong with your networking setup and the failure of drivers to load may be contributing to your situation. Or...the driver situation may be the result of something else. It won't hurt to try to correct this, following the guidance in the links provided.

Louis

#7 chevyeuro

chevyeuro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for all of your suggestions, Louis. I tried them all but the computer continues to freeze. Any other suggestions?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:05 PM

Right about now...I would be thinking "hardware issues" of some kind.

But...I would do a clean install before pursuing that line of thought. It makes it a lot easier to determine if it's an O/S or hardware issue.

I've gone through power failures with my systems before...I even had a laptop get it's dialup modem zapped by a nearby lightning strike. But I never had any problems with my system or the O/S afterwards...so I'm lost.

Which forces me to lean in the direction of a clean install.

Let's see if others have better ideas :thumbsup:.

Louis

A hard drive diagnostic may be called for now, in spiite of the fact that chkdsk /r ran to fruition.

Edited by hamluis, 31 July 2009 - 04:11 PM.

#9 chevyeuro

chevyeuro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:45 PM

Okay, so I formatted the D drive, and that has eliminated the file consistency check at start up. Now it goes right to desktop and freezes. Anyone think I registry cleaner would help? The event view keeps saying "A device is not functioning properly", so I don't know what to try next. I don't want to lose any data, so any suggestions along those lines would be appreciated.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:14 AM

For the purpose of trouble-shooting, I would suggest that you strip the system bare:

1. Remove/un-plug all external devices from the computer and this includes all USB devices, and internet connection devices in particular .... leaving only the keyboard, mouse and monitor connected.

Attempt to start your system. What happens?

2. Inside the box, remove/un-plug all un-necessary devices ... and this includes any extra CD-ROM drives, expansion cards (including the graphics card if you are able to use onboard graphics?), network/internet connection devices, extra USB connections, hard drives ... etc Strip the system bare for the purposes of trouble-shooting.

Attempt to start your system. What happens?
----------------
If that does not allow Windows to load and function normally .... try disabling the on-board LAN in BIOS ... if that is what you are using ?

What happens when you try loading Windows?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#11 chevyeuro

chevyeuro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:57 AM

Okay, I tried all that, except for the LAN in BOIS, I don't know what that is. The computer still freezes as soon as the desktop appears.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:27 PM

Run the correct respective hard drive diagnostic, according to directions provided by the hard drive manufacturer.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#13 chevyeuro

chevyeuro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, but when I try and install the hard drive diagnostic a dialog box opens and says "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation". Any idea how to change the policies?

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:02 PM

What diagnostic is that?

Most diagnostics operate from either a bootable floppy or a bootable CD (since the user often cannot boot into Windows).

The system admin doesn't come into play on such.

If you are trying to use SeaTools for Windows...try SeaTools for DOS instead.

Louis

#15 chevyeuro

chevyeuro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:09 PM

It is Data Lifeguard. Guess I should try the dos version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users