Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disk size

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 car 54

car 54

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:41 PM

can some one tell me how disk partition size is determined?thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:46 PM

Right click on My Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

That will show all your partitions.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:47 PM

Hi Car,

I hope things are going better with your computer now. Disk partition size depends on how you have it set up. If you only have one partition, the partition size is the size of your disk. If you elect to have more than one partition on a disk, then the partitions are whatever size you set them up to be.

Personally, I have never felt the need to have more than one partition on a disk.

#4 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:51 PM

hello stang the reason i ask is when i reinstalled the xp sp3 the c partition has 5.02 GB and d has 52.2 GB. pop up keeps telling me i have low disk space and i haven`t installed anything.but i lose the restore points both c and d are slow to load not real bad ,about 30 seconds.any thoughts or advice?

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:15 PM

I wish you had not put more than one partition on that disk as I think it only complicated matters for you but since you did, the only options you have are to find a program that will let you resize the partitions, or reformat and reinstall again.

I think the program Partition Magic will let you resize the partition without losing any data, but I really do not know for sure as I have never used it. Here is a link to it.....

http://www.symantec.com/norton/partitionmagic

Other people here will probably know if this will work or know of other programs that will.

Partition Magic is not free, but other people might know of free programs to resize your partitions

I found a free one that seems to be good called PartitionExpert by Acronis but I do not have a link for you to download it from. The following link seems to give step by step instructions for resizing the partition using that program but I do not see a link to download it from their site. The ad at the top of that page does not seem to be for that program, but another one, and I do not know if it should be trusted.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_05.htm

Edited by Stang777, 30 July 2009 - 08:07 PM.

#6 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:33 PM

i didnt put those partitions on there, i don`t know how to.i suppose the guy who put xp pro on it did it.the only thing i have on the computer is 3 picture folders with a total of 185 pictures.that`s all i have put on it except a anti virus spy ware program.i have reinstalled 3 times in the last two weeks. i got the same results each time. i would be happy to leave it like it is if i could speed it up a little is there any thing i can do to accomplish that?thank you.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:50 PM

You cannot leave it as it is because you do not have enough free disk space on drive C.

You either need to use a program to resize the partitions or reformat again, only this time, delete BOTH partitions and, if it were me, I would make only ONE partition. If you want two partitions then make the C drive way bigger than you currently have it. I would make it atleast 25 gig.

I do not know what will speed you up other than more ram and possibly having more disk space on drive C. If I remember correctly, you only have 512 meg of ram. I run fine with 640 meg of it so I am a little hesitant to blame your speed issues on just ram, but it could be that. Honestly though, until you get more space on the C drive it seems pointless to attack the speed problem other than adding more ram.

#8 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:40 PM

why can`t i leave it? it has 855mb free space.i can browse around and go anywhere i want to and play games.and on d i have 80 percent free disk space if i need it. c and d are set up the same way.i don`t need c.i could just ignore it i have to choose c or d when i have to restart it.as for the ram, i bought another hp computer with 1024 mb of ram with the idea of swaping them out to see if they made any difference but i have been relutant to do so because there were no problems with speed before the other problems started.thanks

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:41 PM

Well, you can leave it the way it is if you want it to stay the way it is, lol. The only reason I said you cannot leave it the way it is is because you said this.....

the c partition has 5.02 GB and d has 52.2 GB. pop up keeps telling me i have low disk space and i haven`t installed anything.but i lose the restore points both c and d are slow to load not real bad ,about 30 seconds.any thoughts or advice?

If you do not care about that low disk space warning and do not care about losing the ability to have restore points, or about it being slow, then by all means, leave it just as it is.

It is very possible that if Windows is on that C partition then that is contributing to the slowness of the computer, especially since there was not a problem with the speed before it got filled up.

Obviously, the choice is yours.

Btw, if you turn off System Restore for the C drive it will probably make restore points for the D drive that you will not lose.

Edited by Stang777, 31 July 2009 - 12:02 AM.

#10 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:45 AM

i care about speeding it up but c doesn`t have anything to do with d .they have seperate restore points.they are two windows xp sp3,c or d. you have to choose which one to go to.but for some reason they are both slow.i`am sorry if i`am confusing you. i just don`t know what to do

#11 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:18 AM

If System Restore is monitoring both drives, then they both effect what restore points are kept and removed by System Restore. When the amount of available space for one is exceeded, it will delete the restore points for both drives, it has happened to me. In order to keep that from happening, I turned off System Restore for my small drive and then I was able to keep the resotre points for my bigger drive.

If the drives have nothing to do with each other, then you should not get any alerts about disk space if you boot into the D drive, as long as you have turned off System Restore for the C drive. That might also speed up your computer.

#12 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:51 AM

when c drive gets down to just a few mb`s it deletes all restore points in c.but it does nothing to d restore points

#13 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:37 AM

Well that is good, it did not work that way on my computer.

I am afraid that I am out of ideas on how to help you, sorry.

#14 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:18 AM

THANKS FOR TRYING ANYWAY

#15 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help