Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

logs on logs off

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 animemonster

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:59 PM

I'm working on a computer for a co-worker of my step-father and all he wants his the pictures off of it.

Unfortunately, I cannot get the thing to log on. If I can just find a way to save the pictures I'll have done exactly what he wants. If I can save the whole computer that would be excellent.

I tried to log in on safe mode, but even in safe mode it refuses to log in.

Here's exactly what it does.

It powers on normally (I can get the normal F8 safemode/normal menu). It comes up with the account choices and asks for a password. I put in the password that was given to me by the user and it says logging on. As soon as it says logging on it will say, saving settings logging off, and ask for a password again.

In safe mode I tried going into the Administrator account that appears and the same thing. I tried the user's account. Same thing.

I have external harddrives and flashdrives that I can use to save the pictures or transfer troubleshooting tools from this computer to it. Any help will be appreciated.

The computer is a Toshiba Satellite harman/kardon running Windows XP and an unknown processor, though it is at least three years old.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

We can do two things...

1. we can boot to an XP CD and run the command prompt. From there, you can browse to Documents and Settings/**Username/My Documents/My Pictures/ and look for your picture files here. This take a little DOS knowledge of how to move around without the aid of Windows.

2. You can create a Bart PE disk (CD). The instructions are on the site. You will have to create this disk on a clean computer. Boot that CD and you have PE Windows. From there you can browse and copy the needed files to your external. Just be careful. Scan the extreal drive before placing the files back onto your fresh disk.

Let me know if you need more detailed instructions. :thumbsup:

**Username is the user account of the owner.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 animemonster

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:52 PM

Well I don't have an XP CD to boot from. All the computers I have are the ones that come pre-loaded from the store. So I cannot do the first one.

The second one has had problems. I ran the program on a good computer running XP (not the one I'm currently posting on because it runs Vista) and made a CD. I then booted it on the computer having trouble, but then it asked me for a Windows disk on the A drive (which as far as I know is usually a floppy drive, which this computer does not have). If you have any suggestions, then please send them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users