Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open files on secondary HDD

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CoDLunaCh!ck

CoDLunaCh!ck

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:48 AM

Here's the deal. Built a PC for a friend...brand new, but she does taxes and has all these word files on her old primary hard drive. So I slaved that drive and made it a secondary so she can keep those files without having to copy everything to cd's. PC is up and running (very well if I don't say so myself!), but now all those tax (word) files are not opening. I know that there is a simple fix to this, but I can't quite figure it out. I'm okay with the hardware aspect, but when it comes to software I need help.

This is what she gets when trying to open: "Works cannot open C\documents and settings\etc...blah blah blah. This may be in use by another application, the file format may not be supported by any of the installed converters or be converted" Also, a quick note. As these word files are tax forms, so should she reinstall her tax program on the new primary drive to get them to work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:27 AM

hi what letter has the secondary drive got, because that is what her folder should be called.

For example i installed a new drive making like you the old drive slave, the old went to F and my main drive is c so when i want something from f drive, i just click on it because i have put f drive as a desk top short cut ,still in c , because when i do a search it comes up c/f. but in my computer it shows and two sepraite drives.

THIS WHERE you want to try.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 CoDLunaCh!ck

CoDLunaCh!ck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:37 AM

Designated secondary is E drive...that's a very good point. Why is is saying "Works cannot open C\documents and settings...etc" It should say "Works cannot open E\documents and settings...etc" right?

#4 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:40 AM

computers are funny things prehaps that is how you are trying to open it. so youe slave is e so go to my computer, right click, put it as a desk top short cut and try it and see what happens.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:14 AM

Did you install "Word" or "Works" on the new hd?

Try installing a freeware "Word" viewer if you do not have "Word" or a Microsoft Office program installed, or I believe Open Office will work on all Word extentions.

Edited by Enthusiast, 13 July 2005 - 08:16 AM.

#6 lilseno

lilseno

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:56 AM

Since you put an OLD HD with an operating system on it, which means the registry is still intacted. Therefore it will try to call the file from that HD instead of the NEW HD. Just copy the files from the OLD to the NEW and everything should be fine. Do a test run first. Copy one file over and test it. If it doesnt work, your not losing a x amount of time.

#7 CoDLunaCh!ck

CoDLunaCh!ck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:09 PM

First off...no I did not install a word or works program on the new HDD. I did, however, try to copy one of the files to new HDD, and it did not open there either. I will try and place a shortcut onto the desktop, and see what that does. Thanks, will get back to this tomorrow.

#8 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:59 PM

First off...no I did not install a word or works program on the new HDD. I did, however, try to copy one of the files to new HDD, and it did not open there either. I will try and place a shortcut onto the desktop, and see what that does. Thanks, will get back to this tomorrow.

You need to install the Word/Works program on the new HDD. The one on the old harddrive is not registered in the registry anymore(cause you installed windows on the new harddrive) so it can't find the Word/Works program.

#9 chicha1997

chicha1997

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 11:02 PM

I think you should instal open ofice, and the tax program,in order to reed your slave driver JL

#10 CoDLunaCh!ck

CoDLunaCh!ck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:40 PM

Why (I was just wondering), do files on secondary hard drive not open on their own? Does everything on a second hard drive have to go through the primary?

#11 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:50 PM

Why (I was just wondering), do files on secondary hard drive not open on their own? Does everything on a second hard drive have to go through the primary?

Yes. When you install an new hard drive as your primary/master and install windows on it then use your old hard drive as a slave then all the programs that are installed on the old/slave drive need to be installed on the new drive so they can be registered in the new harddrives registry. Your computer can only go by one registry and that is the one on the master hard drive.

#12 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:56 PM

i totally agree, u have to get word onto the new HD so that it can get in the OSs registry system otherwise it will not find it, or u can reinstall word onto the secondary by setting up the installation so that word is on the secondary but its registry files are on the primary

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#13 CoDLunaCh!ck

CoDLunaCh!ck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 05:54 PM

Thanks to all for the help. This issue is completed as I copied the original tax program to the new "C" drive. Once again, Bleepingcomputer members have helped me, and it is appreciated more than words can express.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users