Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error code 0x800700c1

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 musicman

musicman

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:07 PM

I was downloading a music CD (professionally produced - not a copy) onto "My Music". Everything went well until I tried to open I-tunes - it wouldn't open at all. So I did a restart to see if that would help. Since the restart the farthest I can get is the "Welcome" page. When I click on any of our accounts I get the message "Windows Product Activation. A problem is preventing Windows from checking the license for the computer. Error Code: 0x800700c1". This happens on all 3 of our accounts.

I tried going to "safe" mode. In regular "safe" mode I get a black screen with "safe mode" in the corners. When I go to safe mode with networking I get the welcome screen with regular accounts plus Administrator, but when I click on any of these I still get the error message. I also tried clicking on Last known Good Configuration and Debugging Mode - nothing good happens with these either.

I also tried using my Operating System disc, but nothing happens there either - the computer just goes to the Welcome page - there's no indication that the DVD is even running.

I went to Microsoft.com & really couldn't get anywhere on that site.

I'm on a 3 1/2 year old Dell desktop using XP Media Edition. The computer has been working great up until about two hours ago. I have Windows Defender, Ad Aware, and F-secure (from our zoomtown provider), so nothing should have gotten through!?! I use Firefox - not IE. I can't even try to download fixes because I can't get past the welcome screen (I'm sending this message on my laptop). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dan M. - Musicman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:07 PM

You did change the boot options...before trying to use this "operating system" disk?

Can you access the BIOS?

If so, try using the default settings to boot the hard drive.

Various instances of this error, I see no resolution on any where users could not access safe mode.

Louis

#3 musicman

musicman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I really don't know how to change the boot options, and I definitely don't know how to get in to the BIOS.

First things first - how do I change the boot options - and what do I do after that? I do have the original XP disc that came with the computer.
Thanks - Musicman

#4 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:20 PM

musicman:

In order to get you up and running, I have to know how far you've gone in trying to fix this on your own.
  • Have you attempted to reinstall since your first try?
  • If you boot into "Safe Mode" (not "Safe Mode with Networking"), can you get to the desktop?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:26 PM

How to access-enter Motherboard BIOS - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Worth reading: http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom Each BIOS may possibly be set up a little differently, but this gives you the general idea.

Louis

#6 musicman

musicman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:41 PM

Syscorpsecure,
I have tried to open my XP system disc several times. It will not boot up. The system keeps going to the Welcome page.

When I go in to Safe mode I do not get the desktop - only a black screen with safe mode in all four corners. Thanks.

Hamluis,
I'll read through your info from the last post.
Dan M. - Musicman

#7 musicman

musicman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:03 AM

I got the comp. to load from the disk. XP loaded, I told it to go to recovery console which it did. Now I have a message

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
(to cancel, press enter)?

What do I enter after the question mark?

Dan M. - Musicman

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:48 AM

Type 1 and hit Enter.

On the next line presented...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.

This should start a repair operation on your system partition...let the repair run to completion. At the end, it will show a short summary.

Type EXIT and hit Enter and the system will reboot.

Let us know the results.

Louis

Edit: If asked for a password, just hit Enter.

Edited by hamluis, 31 July 2009 - 09:49 AM.

#9 musicman

musicman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:59 AM

When I typed in chkdsk/r it said the command was not recognized.

When I enter just chkdsk I get;

Volume created 1/4/06 1:01 a
The volume Serial Number is 460-b0f9

The volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked.
Use /p if you want to check the volume anyway.

When I enter /p or just p I get The command is not recognized Type HELP
for a list of supported commands.

This is all very frustrating, but I do appreciate all of your help.

Dan M. - Musicman

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:33 PM

You need a space between the k and the /, just as I typed it...or Windows will not recognize it as a valid command.

Louis

#11 musicman

musicman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:54 AM

Frustration Builds!

I ran the recovery console - it ran for an hour & 50 minutes. No Luck. I still get the same !@#$%& message. Maybe a 10 pound sledge hammer would work. A friend of ours works in the computer dept. of a local university, & he feels that he can pull our files off & then re-load XP. I hate to go back to square one - I'd much rather get this thing straightened out without reloading - but nothing seems to be able to fix this !@#$%.

Is there any way this could be a virus or malware? I haven't seen anything on the web about this - but maybe I got to be the "lucky one".

Thanks for all of your help so far - I REALLY do appreciate it.

Dan M.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

The potential for malware...to be the cause of system problems...varies with the owner/user and her/his attention to safe computing practices.

Such include installation of all critical updates for the O/S, proper use of a firewall, etc.

Louis

#13 musicman

musicman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:52 PM

My PC is pretty well protected. I've got AdAware, Windows Defender, F-secure antivirus & anti-malware, and I use Firefox. But you & I both know that these malware & virus degenerates are always trying to come up with ways to one-up the protection.

My main concern was an article I read about a bogus "Windows Malicious software tool" where, if you open it (and I would), introduces "beasties" in to your system.

Having said all of that, does anyone have any other ideas to help get this glitch straightened out? I really don't want to wipe out the comp. if I don't have to.

Thanks.

Dan M.

#14 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:33 PM

musicman:

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner...

If you have not wiped your system and reinstalled from scratch, there is a possible solution which would not require you to have to start from the beginning and lose your data - it's called an "inplace restore" of Windows XP.

Basically, its a way to start with a clean operating system and NOT have to reinstall everything else or lose your user settings. You use this option when you can NOT boot to the desktop to use system restore and "Last Known Good" fails to bring you any joy.

What you do is boot from the Windows XP CD exactly as you would if you were installing for the first time and bypass the recovery console option. Accept the XP license agreement by pressing F8 and make sure that your current copy of Windows XP is highlighted and press "R" to repair it.

What happens when you do this is similar to "rolling back" to an earlier version of XP, you'll have to download and reinstall all of the updates and service packs issued after the version you reverted to - but your user settings and data stay behind.

Before you do this:
  • Go to the Microsoft Support Website and read the following KB Instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341
  • Be sure to pay strict attention to the information about "Method 2" - Starting from the Windows XP CD
  • Do NOT install to any folder other than your existing XP installation if you want to preserve you existing user settings.
  • Do NOT format your drive under any circumstances. If you are asked to format your drive, ABORT the installation. If this happens you either chose to install a "clean" version of XP or you have a problem with the integrity of your hard drive and we will have to troubleshoot further to get you up and running.
When finished you should have a clean load of all original (read "pre-updates applied" here) XP files in the installation folder and you build it back to where you were.

If you're not sure or you have more questions, ask BEFORE you do anything. I have performed this procedure on my own computers and for my customers more than 30 times with great results.

#15 musicman

musicman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:20 PM

Syscorpsecure,

We are headed out the door for vacation even as I write this, & we'll be gone a week. As soon as we return, I will definitely be using all of your Great info, & hopefully my desktop will be up & running again. I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I give it a try.

Thanks a bunch for all of this, & I hope I can send you a positive reply when we return.
THANKS!!!

Musicman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users