Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows media player unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jt233

jt233

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:03 PM

Hello

Well I am having a problem with windows media player becoming unresponsive as soon as I open it I don't even get a chance to do anything before it freezes and then I have to do an end task. I Have rolled back the media player to a previous version which I believe is media player 9 also I have even tried re-instaling it to version 11 but when I run the install package everything works fine up until it starts to download the media player files but it never gets past that point and nothing happens on the progress bar.

Computer is a little outdated but the hard drive is new.
Intel Celeron Processor
1 gig ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

Worth a look, methinks: http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum...dia-player.html

I would also check Event Viewer for possible pertinent error messages.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 jt233

jt233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:37 AM

Actually I think the program Is fixed I found that smitfraud-c was on the computer So I ran the smitfraudfix.exe on the computer to ge rid of it then I ran the boot time scan from avast and it seemed to work at least for now but I will check the links.

Also I don't know if you would be able to help but It just seems like the computer is never completely fixed for example about a month ago there was a problem with the computer freezing and alot of the antivirus or antimalware programs would not work so I finally got avast to install and it found a virus in the memory and it got rid of it and everything worked fine for a little while then it game to this last thing and now firefox is unstable and randomly quits. It just seems like no matter what I do and when I think I have fixed something there is a problem with something else and even though he is protected there is always something new popping up on his computer.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:00 AM

Well...the user/owner bears the responsibility for doing all things possible to keep a system running well and malware-free.

If that isn't being done...then owners/users may experience continual problems.

It all starts with installing critical updates, using a firewall and reliable AV program, using appropriate malware-defense programs, and performing routine maintenance operations on the system.

...and practicing safe computing practices.

Louis

#5 jt233

jt233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:04 PM

I understand what you are saying and the owner of the computer doesn't know much about computers so I have been trying to help him with waht I know, but It just seems no matter how protected his computer is having avg antvirus, spybot s&d , malware bytes, avast antivirus, windows firewall, out he still keeps getting infected or having problem from different malicious programs. Maybe this is attributed to not having a good firewall.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:28 PM

See the last line of previous post...the about safe computing practices.

There is no cure for that system weakness.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users