Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU usage problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cookie050505

cookie050505

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:52 PM

Hi All

Can anybody help me out with a very annoying problem I have?

Every now & again while surfing the internet my pc sounds like its about to blow up (lol), its racing away it does calm down eventually though but is it supposed to do that?. I looked in the Task Manager Processes list & ieplore.exe seems to be the problem using around 80% cpu. iexplore.exe is also listed 3 times, is this normal?.

I use Windows XP Home Edition , Norton Security 2009, IE8 SP3. I have no virus or any Malware or Spyware

Is there a soloution?. I am no Computer Whizz but I know a bit

Great Website

Many Thanks

Ian

Edited by cookie050505, 30 July 2009 - 01:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:00 PM

Laptop or Desktop? What make & model if you know.

Did this just start happening or did you just start to notice it?

Can you determine the source by identifying the source? Speakers? Cooling fan(s)? Hard disk? Power supply? CD drive whirring? Anything in the CD drive that doesn't need to be there (remove any unused CDs and try again)?

I have a Compaq laptop where the cooling fan is annoying as it cycles, but the cooling mechanism is not obstructed, nothing overheats, but I do know that I can't stand it. I could fix it to be always on or always off (bad idea) but I give it the benefit of the doubt to know what it is doing.

Just because you have Norton 2009, doesn't mean you don't have any virus, malware, spyware.

What it does mean is that you don't have any virus, malware, spyware that Norton can detect :thumbsup:

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 cookie050505

cookie050505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:17 PM

Hi

Thanks for reply

My pc is a hp pavilion desktop t3155.uk & this problem as far as I know has only just started. It might very well be a fan but I do know they are all working as I have had a look but I have noticed back of pc tends to get very hot at times.

At the moment pc is ticking over ok & I'm on the internet & iexplore.exe is behaving it self but at times it goes crazy using up a huge amount of cpu but like you I give it the benifit of doubt that it knows what its doing & not causing any serious damage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users