Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does a Windows Setup format reset the MBR ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bolzano_1989

bolzano_1989

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:19 PM

Hello everybody, I have a question, hope that you could help me.
I believe that an reformat only of a partition by Windows Setup CD could not reset the MBR of that partition when reinstalling Windows . Some reasons for me to think so:
1. I found this info :

from this link: http://vx.netlux.org/lib/aas09.html
2. A guy confirmed this : http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/766829-...-reset-mbr.html
3. Some info on : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

But recently, a friend of mine has said to me, Windows Setup format resets the MBR of the partition when installing Windows to some existing partition .

Here's the image he gave me :

Posted Image

I notice the "on atapi [mbr]" as he said the mbr is resetted .
Searching on Google, I found some useful links but they do not answer my question directly:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.a...44&seqNum=5
http://www.wallpaperama.com/forums/how-to-...tion-t6256.html
http://www.informit.com/articles/printerfr...ly.aspx?p=26244

It is all the info that I have found . So, I hope you will give me some explanations to this phenomenon and whether I misunderstand sth .

Thanks a lot :thumbsup: .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:22 PM

Moved to the XP forum.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:14 PM

Windows setup format does what it is intended to do, it formats the partition.
Windows setup writes data to MBR so it can boot from hard disk next time.
MBR and partition are separate things.
But the thing is, Windows setup format is integrated in the setup itself, so overall impression is that it resets MBR.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:57 AM

FWIW: Differences between a Quick format and a regular format during a clean installation of Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302686

Louis

#5 bolzano_1989

bolzano_1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:56 AM

Thanks Romeo29 for your reply .

FWIW: Differences between a Quick format and a regular format during a clean installation of Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302686

Louis

Thanks , but I cann't find any relating info to MBR from that KB . Can you give me your conclusion ?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:20 PM

I guess that I have to ask...what do you mean by "reset the MBR"?

What exactly are you trying to determine?

The only ways that I can think of in conjunction with that phrase is formatting a partition...and using the various Recovery Console commands to generate a new MBR and/or boot structure. Those are the only methods I know of...whereby an XP user can create or adjust the MBR reflected for XP.

Louis

#7 bolzano_1989

bolzano_1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:37 PM

The only ways that I can think of in conjunction with that phrase is formatting a partition...and using the various Recovery Console commands to generate a new MBR and/or boot structure. Those are the only methods I know of...whereby an XP user can create or adjust the MBR reflected for XP.

Louis

Yeah, I and a friend of mine have some discussions when cleaning some malware relating to MBR (boot virus..) .
I said that using the Recovery Console commands ( FIXMBR or fdisk /mbr ) is a must-have to fully clean any MBR malware , even if we have reinstalled Windows with a a Windows Setup CD . But he disagreed and said that a Windows Setup format does reset the MBR (clear and create a new MBR to fully clean the malware ) .

Edited by bolzano_1989, 04 August 2009 - 11:38 PM.

#8 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:29 AM

Louis

Yeah, I and a friend of mine have some discussions when cleaning some malware relating to MBR (boot virus..) .
I said that using the Recovery Console commands ( FIXMBR or fdisk /mbr ) is a must-have to fully clean any MBR malware , even if we have reinstalled Windows with a a Windows Setup CD . But he disagreed and said that a Windows Setup format does reset the MBR (clear and create a new MBR to fully clean the malware ) .

If you perform an "inplace" upgrade of Windows XP (i.e.: rollback system files to original versions) then you DO NOT create a new MBR, you simply replace the files in the %systemroot% directory. Especially if you choose the option to "repair" (press "R") a Windows XP installation. This is not the same as using the Recovery Console or using the fixmbr option but it is one way you could repair an XP installation and still end up with a corrupted MBR.

#9 kituhi1234

kituhi1234

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:00 AM

hey buddy tis s real solution...

Master Boot Record s set n HDD sector 0 by the manufacturer...k there wil b min 5 sectors(sec 1,...sec 4) alloted for MBR. windows formatting won reset MBR.. its just sets s OS loadin location alon..ther s diffrenc between settin value n resetting...

f yur MBR gets damaged, formatin won fetch yur MBR back to fine state...in such case yu wil need a utility software frm the HDD manufactuerer 2 shift MBR frm Sec 0 to next sec..

so tis s d point

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:31 AM

"Windows Install", which usually includes a format ALWAYS will overwrite the MBR, and the boot sector of the partition onto which windows is installed.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 bolzano_1989

bolzano_1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:57 AM

Thanks Romeo29 and Budapest for your confirmations .

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

The only discrepancy in the above information is evident when formatting and not deleting the system partition on a previous install.

A format can leave you with a boot.ini showing an option to boot to the previous OS, where this info is stored I don't know, but I run into this too many time already.

I always delete the system partition before a format

This does not affect a data partition in an extended drive

Edited by DaChew, 05 August 2009 - 11:51 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users