Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Can't Find New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 amiable1

amiable1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:10 PM

I am attempting to add a new Western Digital 1TB SATA HD to my system. BIOS sees it, Vista doesn't.

System -- Homebrew
OS -- Vista SP2
MB -- ASUS M2N-E w/six SATA connectors on-board
BIOS -- Phoenix Award 1701 (latest and greatest build June/09)
SATA Controller -- on-board NVIDIA Nforce 570 Ultra w/support up to six devices
HDs -- two WD 250GB SATA hard drives already installed as SATA#1 and SATA#2.

New Hard Drive -- model WD1001FALS, manufacturer website confirms its compatibility with my MB and controller

First attempt to install new hard drive as SATA#3. It shows up in BIOS Set-up but not in Vista's Windows Explorer (file manager). I go into Disk Manager, it does not find it. I do a cold reboot, no change. I notice the HD activity light on my chassis stays lit all the time and can hear one of the drives being accessed, but suppose it is my boot drive.

I check BIOS settings. All SATA settings are "auto." I ensured that RAID is disabled. I also disabled on-board PnP turning that over to Vista. Problem remains.

Second attempt, I upgrade Vista from SP1 to SP2, and flash BIOS from two-year old build 805 to newest 1701. No driver update for SATA controller at ASUS website or via Windows Update. Repeat all above steps, problem remains -- BIOS recognizes drive, Vista does not, activity light stays lit. Attempt hooking up drive to SATA#4 on MB, problem remains.

I go into Device Manager and instruct it to find new hardware, it freezes system dead with no BSOD, forces warm reboot. MS now has a new app (Java?) on their website that tries to do a fix when your OS won't recognize new hardware. It did the same thing as Device Driver's "find new hardware" -- froze my computer, no BSOD, had to do a warm boot.

(Thinking out loud -- Remember how I said the activity light stays lit no matter what? It appears to me that Vista is in an endless loop trying to recognize the drive and that is why the other software attempts crashed the system.)

I ran Western Digital diagnostic program Data Lifeguard from a DOS boot disk, and it said it was a bad cable. So I took one of the working cables off of a working drive and put it on this drive, and took the supposed "bad" cable and put it on the working drive. The working drive continued to work, and the problem drive did not.

Ran the diagnostic again. This time it said the drive is "not supported." But this diagnostic program was specifically associated with this drive by Western Digital so that is impossible.

I assume it is a bad drive and exchange it for a new one from WD. The new one arrives, and the problems start all over again.

Please help. I am sure it is something simple I am overlooking. Thanks in advance.

Edited by amiable1, 30 July 2009 - 12:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:27 PM

Try connecting the new drive...to a different SATA connector.

In fact, I would try them all.

A previous poster with an ASUS board with (ostensibly) 6 SATA connectors...revealed that the 2 connectors for RAID...will only function in a RAID.

Louis

#3 amiable1

amiable1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:21 PM

Try connecting the new drive...to a different SATA connector.

As stated above -- already tried that.

#4 amiable1

amiable1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:20 PM

WD Support suggests I try unplugging one of the working drives and try the new drive in that connector.

As stated before I have working SATA drives connected to SATA#1 and SATA#2. The new drive had been unsuccessfully tried in SATA#3 and SATA#4. I unplugged the working drive in SATA#2 and plugged the new drive in. And Disk Manager found it!!! This is progress. HOWEVER, Vista says the drive is “not initialized,” and there is no option to initialize the drive on the right-click menu. FURTHER, Vista Help Files state that a window offering to initialize the disk should have automatically popped up when it detected the drive.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

Hard drive initialization, Initialization Formatting New Drive - http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000588.htm

Louis

#6 ohai

ohai

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:35 PM

People r stupid sometimes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users