Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

023-Files Missing NT Services - Can't Move or Copy/Paste anything

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ambo549

ambo549

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:09 PM

I am using XP - Service Pack 3. When I restarted my computer yesterday it came back on missing nearly everything - all classic view, missing internet, my antivirus and malware removers were all missing, and I can't copy/paste nor move anything on to my external drive to save it.
All that's left of my software is SUPERantispyware and HijackThis - ran superantispyware in safe mode which removed a few things but nothing major. I have a hijackthis log if it would help - I noticed there are a ton of 023 -- files missing type errors. Depspite my better judgment I went ahead and clicked fix on every single one that said "file missing" which prompted me to restart - when the computer came back on, same problems, and all the 023 errors showed back up in HijackThis.

I can't install anything new from a disk, I can't restore to an earlier date, I can't move anything. It wouldn't bother me to wipe out the whole drive and start over however I have some recent pictures/home videos/ and school related stuff on there that I would like to first get burned on a disk or moved over to my external drive. But I can't send to my burner through windows and neither of my burner programs will respond. Can't drag files and can't copy/paste although it will cut files and delete files.. but will not paste them anywhere.

I always keep my startup list clean through msconfig however since whatever attacked my computer I've noticed there are a lot less processes running in task manager.

Any suggestions on what may have affected my computer? How to fix it? Or is there any hope of saving my important files?

Thanks so much for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

Any error messages?

Louis

#3 ambo549

ambo549
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

I figured out how to save my media files by sending them to a compressed/zipped folder then having them extracted to my external drive - so that's a relief. I also have some software I'd like to save if possible and avoid wiping out my hard drive/ reinstalling windows if possible, but if not I will try it as a last ditch effort. I havent gotten any specific error codes but when I try to install anything from my external or flash it only gets so far then tells me there is an installation error/files missing and I can't run the program.

Thanks..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users