Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software selection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jeff2009

Jeff2009

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:44 AM

I was recently infected by a backdoor trojan, and Bleeping Computer suggested I either reformat my infected HD, or purchase a new one. In the discussion process, I asked about anti-virus and Internet Security software. If my memory serves me, you suggested I run Pro-MBAM along with Kaspersky. In my search, I find that Pro-MBAM is about $25, and Kaspersky is about $80. Is there a free version of Kaspersky, and should I go with the Professional version?

Also, before I began reformatting my infected HD, I transferred various .doc, .voc, and hardware driver files to a thumb drive. I ran Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware to verify they were virus free. Both of these softwares said "NO THREATS DETECTED." When I ran the "free" version of Kaspersky over the files, 75 infected files were found???? The infected files were .exe files with the hardware drivers. I hit SETUP for my mainboard drivers, and the backdoor virus remultiplied.

Finally, because I do alot of online banking, can I really trust a reformatted HD, or should I go purchase a new HD?

Thanks...Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:53 AM

On a clean computer, download your drivers from the web and burn to CD

The Kasp for 80$ is a year's subscription to an excellent protection suite.

A more economical approach would be Avira free or Avast w/ MBAM pro or several alternatives(free versions are not as good as MBAM)

Formatting the hard drive removes the infection
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users