Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP System Programs not working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chembear

chembear

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:01 AM

This computer is mostly used by the kids, so I'm not really sure how long this has been going on. The problems seem to be related in that they are Windows OS programs.
1) About a week or two ago, I was trying to do something for my son and realized the "search" function wasn't working correctly. When I try to run a search, a window pops up, the search dog in the bottom left corner, but with no functionality. I had intended to reboot to see if that would fix it, but got distracted and didn't get to it right away. Eventually, I determined that rebooting did not fix the issue.

2) After some other issues popped up, I decided that a reinstallation would probably be in order, so I tried to run System Information (to get driver info for later download) from the accessories menu. This time, nothing appears to happen. I get a momentary hourglass, but the program doesn't run. It doesn't appear in the Task Manager, even in the processes section. (I also tried getting a copy of the MSInfo executable from another computer, but it didn't work, either.)

3) OK, so I decided to try reinstalling Windows without looking in System Info. Unfortunately, the sticker had been rubbed/picked off the computer, so I don't know the XP activation code. I was thinking I might find it in the Help/About section, but Windows Help also doesn't run. Now, I don't know how to get the activation code for the computer.

4) This may be unrelated, but I noticed that, while the McAfee folders are present, the programs are missing (firewall/virus/etc.)

5) I ran Malwarebytes last night, and got the following output:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.39
Database version: 2529
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

7/30/2009 8:26:30 AM
mbam-log-2009-07-30 (08-26-30).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 366274
Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 9 minute(s), 11 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 11
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{7370f91f-6994-4595-9949-601fa2261c8d} (Adware.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{00a6faf1-072e-44cf-8957-5838f569a31d} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{56256a51-b582-467e-b8d4-7786eda79ae0} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mywebsearchwbbar.settingsplugin (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mywebsearchwbbar.settingsplugin.1 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mywebsearchwbbar.toolbarplugin (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mywebsearchwbbar.toolbarplugin.1 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mywebsearchwbtoolbar.temperaturebarbutton (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mywebsearchwbtoolbar.temperaturebarbutton.1 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Schemes\f3pss (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MyWebSearch (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\&Search\(default) (Adware.Hotbar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

So what I need to know now is: 1) Do I really need to re-install Windows? and 2) How do I get the activation code if I do?

Thanks

Edited by chembear, 30 July 2009 - 11:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:08 AM

System Information Wizard can give you the product key (plus a lot of other info, like hardware info!).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users