Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

recent Windows update and startup issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LJS11

LJS11

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:51 AM

I recently installed the latest security update for XP Pro and since my laptop hangs on startup. I did a system restore, pre-update and turned off automatic updates, and this seems to have solved the problem, at least for now. Is this a known issue, and if so, what is the solution? I am using a Lenovo laptop sl300 with lots of ultility programs running in the background and Kaspersky anti-virus.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 genius12

genius12

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:51 PM

Microsoft hasn't found a bug in the latest release of the security update. Because if there was, then when you restored your computer and installed the update again, the same thing would have happened again at startup. So I don't think it had anything to do with  that specific update.

It's probably the cause of the background intelligent transfer service, used for windows update, that starts up everytime your computer starts. Microsoft put out a patch for this but it doesn't work for most people. So that's most likely to be cause of your startup hang. So go to: startmenu / run / type in 'services.msc' / locate the background intelligent transfer service and stop it. And also right-click it and set the startup type to disabled. And I'm sure that has to be the problem, because that's the service automatic updates uses to download updates in the background which starts up when your computer starts. And since this problem occurred in your computer with the windows update then probably this should be the answer. You can find more information here: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread4497.html# 

Also many other people have had the same problem and solution fixed it.

Genius12

Edited by genius12, 30 July 2009 - 04:53 PM.

" Determination is the cause of Intervention."-Muhammad Shariq

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users