Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My slow lagging computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chadder5000

chadder5000

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:45 AM

Hello im having problems making my computer run at normal speed. It has been running slow for awhile now but recently VERY SLOW. It takes forever to boot up and any program I open also takes an eternity. Once the program is running it works fine.
I have scanned the computer w/ norton, malwarebytes anti-malware and spybot.
I removed all the harmful files. Spybot seemed to make it run slower.
In the task manager the CPU usage is at 100%. There are about 80 processes when I boot up the system.(seems like a lot)
I uninstalled a bunch of programs I never use to free up some more space and I also tried restoring it to an earlier date.
I gave it the newest updates for windows.
I deleted all the programs I dont need from the start up.
Today I tried running Malwarebytes' anti-malware today and it TIMED OUT!! taskmanager said program was unresponsive.
I'm not sure where to go from here. Do I have to wipe my hard drive??? Please help!!! It is a Sony VAIO laptop.

Edited by chadder5000, 30 July 2009 - 11:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:46 PM

<<I removed all the harmful files.>>

That seems to always be a presumption...by those who get infected. Of course, it's not necessarily true but users seem to like to say/believe it.

I guess that I have to ask...was your system infected?

Any error messages during this troubled period?

Louis

#3 chadder5000

chadder5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:44 PM

Yes, it was infected by a phishing/pharming virus. When it was infected there was a norton subscritption on the computer. The infection was pretty deep so a norton tech took control of the computer and deleted all the harmful files or so he said. The computer never was as snappy as it was before the infection, that was almost a year ago. This past week the computer has run extremely slow so I used the bleepingcomputer.com troubleshooting guide for slow computer as a checklist of things to do. The only thing I have not done from the checklist is the scandisk/checkdisk in safe mode.

No error messages during this "troubled period" lol. (no laughing matter really)

Edited by chadder5000, 30 July 2009 - 05:45 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:03 PM

Well...the chkdsk is probably one of the more important steps in increasing system efficiency. I suggest that you run a chkdsk /r right away. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between the k and /) and hit Enter.

In response to onscreen message, type Y and hit Enter.

Reboot the system, the chkdsk /r command will run to completion. After it is complete, the system will boot into XP.

I also suggest doing a defrag...after the chkdsk /r completes and the system boots into XP.

FWIW: It's not uncommon for a system to be somewhat crippled after an infection and malicious files have been removed. The reason for this is that other key system files may have been damaged/removed during either the infection or the malware-removal process.

One way of attempting to overcome this would be to do a repair install of XP. An alternative would be to run the System File Checker utility. Each of these would require a MS XP install CD that reflects the current SP-level of the system.

Description of Windows XP System File Checker (Sfc.exe) - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

#5 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:17 PM

Yes, it was infected by a phishing/pharming virus. When it was infected there was a norton subscritption on the computer. The infection was pretty deep so a norton tech took control of the computer and deleted all the harmful files or so he said. The computer never was as snappy as it was before the infection, that was almost a year ago. This past week the computer has run extremely slow so I used the bleepingcomputer.com troubleshooting guide for slow computer as a checklist of things to do. The only thing I have not done from the checklist is the scandisk/checkdisk in safe mode.

No error messages during this "troubled period" lol. (no laughing matter really)

Hi chadder5000,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Do you currently have a valid subscription to a Norton product? If so, which product and version do you have installed?

If you do have a valid subscription, run LiveUpdate from within your Norton product and after the updates have been applied, restart your computer in Safe Mode, launch Norton, and complete a "Full System Scan" to check for infections.

Thank you,
Mike

Edited by Michael York, 30 July 2009 - 06:19 PM.

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users