Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing a second hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 magglg

magglg

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:44 AM

Recently our motherboard and power source died in our old pc. The hard drive was not damaged. We now use a different pc as our primary. I would like to install the hard drive from the old pc into our current pc as it contains valueable info (photos, docs, etc). Is this possible and would the fact that Windows is installed on this old hard drive cause problems?

Any and all tips and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:04 AM

Recently our motherboard and power source died in our old pc. The hard drive was not damaged. We now use a different pc as our primary. I would like to install the hard drive from the old pc into our current pc as it contains valueable info (photos, docs, etc). Is this possible and would the fact that Windows is installed on this old hard drive cause problems?

Any and all tips and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Yes it is possible. No it does not matter that Windows is installed on it already.

That being said you do need to make sure of a couple things. First is that the motherboard and the old hard drive have the same interface. IDE, wide usually gray cable. Or SATA, a much narrower cable, can be any color, usually red with black ends.

Depending on the cable type will then mean you do or do not need to be concerned with the jumper setting on the old hard drive.

Another option is an external drive enclosure. EXAMPLES

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,551 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:24 PM

The only possible complications that I see:

a. If you attach it directly to the motherboard, XP may pick it up as a second bootable O/S. In that case, you might be presented with 2 options to boot into and you need to make sure that you boot into the correct one.

b. When you go to remove files from My Computer, etc...you will probably get access denied messages and need to follow guidelines in How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#4 magglg

magglg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:14 PM

Hmm sounds confusing...

ThunderZ, what you mentioned would be obvious? The cords would not be abe to connect if there were not the same correct?

Hamluis, if it is recognized as a 2nd O/S would it be obvious which O/S is which? I have Windows XP home edition on the 2nd hard drive and Windows XP Professional on the current/primary hard drive.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

Hmm sounds confusing...

Not really. Once you have seen it, done it once it will become second nature.

ThunderZ, what you mentioned would be obvious? The cords would not be abe to connect if there were not the same correct?

Correct. The differences are very obvious. Also, your current PC motherboard may support both interfaces, cable types.

Hamluis, if it is recognized as a 2nd O/S would it be obvious which O/S is which? I have Windows XP home edition on the 2nd hard drive and Windows XP Professional on the current/primary hard drive.

If I may. Has been a while since I ran a dual-boot set up. But yes, I believe that one should show up as XP and one as XP Professional. You will have 30 seconds to pick the OS you wish to boot in to.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,551 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:20 PM

What ThunderZ said :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:08 AM

What ThunderZ said :trumpet:.

Louis

:thumbsup: Hope I did not step on your toes by answering a question directed at you. :flowers:

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:04 PM

If I may. Has been a while since I ran a dual-boot set up. But yes, I believe that one should show up as XP and one as XP Professional. You will have 30 seconds to pick the OS you wish to boot in to.

This is wrong, that's for when you have 2 OS's loaded on the same setup, here we have 2 seperate bootable system drives.

The pertinent part is what bios wants to do, which drive takes boot priority
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:15 PM

Agree, in part.

Depending on the drive(s) interface. SATA has no Master\Slave. Of course IDE does. If the board has both available and the two drives are each a different interface....??? BIOS does play the primary role. But depending on the board BIOS limitations...?

More or less thinking out loud.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:30 PM

The real problem with the 2 drives would be windows would default to the ide/pata when it wants to install. I formated 160 gigs of data that way.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:34 PM

The real problem with the 2 drives would be windows would default to the ide/pata when it wants to install. I formated 160 gigs of data that way.

Got ya. Hate when that happens.

Do`t ask me how I know about doing something like that. :thumbsup:

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,551 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:06 PM

To ThunderZ: LOL, no problem.

This is a forum and I've never pretended that I have the right answers...let alone the only right to answer :thumbsup:.

In fact, my style is pretty much to say all that I think I can say that might be useful...and then wait for other comments from others. I like the forum format, I learn much from the comments which others make, while learning little from those I make :flowers:.

Louis

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:13 PM

To ThunderZ: LOL, no problem.

This is a forum and I've never pretended that I have the right answers...let alone the only right to answer :flowers:.

In fact, my style is pretty much to say all that I think I can say that might be useful...and then wait for other comments from others. I like the forum format, I learn much from the comments which others make, while learning little from those I make :trumpet:.

Louis

:thumbsup: Ditto.

#14 kinweii

kinweii

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:31 AM

May be the problem driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users