Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prob installing XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mozz1234

Mozz1234

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:29 AM

I started having trouble about a week ago.

First my Malware was not working when i went to run it.

Then, I could not get on line to update it.

Next, I found the error/virus was in Document and Settings, Admin, Loc Settting, Temp file. I deleted all that was in there and the problem still persisted.

I decided to re-instal the operating system, but did not have the original XP Home, so was attempting a full install of XP Pro that i have.

It started to install...i put the key code in and all..then I got a black screen with the white cursor in the upper left.

What can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:42 PM

Black screen with cursor in upper left...typically means a boot error of some type.

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

But I don't see how fixmbr applies, based on what you've stated.

<<...so was attempting a full install of XP Pro that i have.>>

Does that mean it's a legal copy of XP Pro, complete with valid license?

Does that mean you were doing a clean install and deleted the previously existing partition structure?

Louis

#3 Mozz1234

Mozz1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

thx for responding Hamluis

I have a valid license for the OS. I was unable to delete the old partition. I tried, by going to Computer Management Console and doing it from there. No partition came up.

I'm thinking about getting a new Hard Drive and installing that..then putting this operation system on to it. But, I'm not sure if I can do that...this is a Dell...dont know if they made any type of restrictions on the comp to stop people from doing that, or if it can be done with no problem.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

You cannot...delete the partition that Windows is on...from within Windows. That would be O/S suicide and Windows won't allow it.

Every XP install CD that I have ever seen...provides the opportunity to delete any/all existing partitions...as a precursor to installing XP.

Are you saying that you installed XP without seeing such a screen option?

When in doubt about your Dell system...you can either consult your owner's manual...or go to the Dell website and see what they list as the things you can do and the things you cannot do...of a repair/install nature.

For a long time, many persons would say that Dell install CDs could be used in the same way that a Microsoft XP install CD could...well, from what I see, that's no longer true.

Only Dell knows the true story for a given system made by them.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users