Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports malfunction

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Allen B.

Allen B.

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:48 AM

Whenever I leave my computer idle for about 15 mins. or more, something goes wrong with the USB ports. I am sure that the USB devices are getting power through the computer because all the lights come on, but both of the joysticks hooked up to my computer aren't working properly. Device Manager says that they are "Not turned on", but they have to be turned on because they're getting power. However, when I unplug them and plug them back in, no longer are their lights on. Mouse and keyboard, however, work fine until I unplug and plug back in, then they're not getting power. Never had this problem before.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Allen

...:::Allen:::...

I may be 13 but I've got a rare condition of the smarts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:16 AM

Off the top of my head I would suggest going into Device manager. Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers string by clicking on the + symbol. Right click on each instance of USB Root Hub. Left click on Properties. Go to the Power Management tab. Remove the check mark from "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

Let us know if that fix`s it. There are a couple other things that can be tried.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:35 PM

It never hurts to have a PCI USB 2.0 card around...onboard USB and NIC functions seem to be more susceptible to failure (IMO) than other onboard functions.

Louis

#4 Allen B.

Allen B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:59 AM

Thanks ThunderZ I think that will fix the problem. I'll get back to you if the problem comes up again today.

Thanks,
Allen

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:40 PM

Good luck. Hope it works out.

Louis provided a very viable alternative as well.

Keep us posted.

#6 Allen B.

Allen B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:56 AM

Came up again :thumbsup:. I already have one of those USB extensions, so I don't think that will work (and no, the problem is not with that because the main USB ports on my computer fail also). I'll see what I can do about it, but if any more suggestions, please post. Oh, and also I think that my sound card has something to do with it also: same problem happens with it about the same time as the USB fails.

Regards,
Allen

Edited by Allen B., 01 August 2009 - 08:59 AM.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:34 AM

Well, if it is happening with your sound card as well, assuming it is a PCI add-on card, not an onboard. Then I am starting to lean towards a hardware issue. Possibly centering around either the power supply or motherboard.

#8 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

Well, if it is happening with your sound card as well, assuming it is a PCI add-on card, not an onboard. Then I am starting to lean towards a hardware issue. Possibly centering around either the power supply or motherboard.

could be just a driver problem
update every thing(sound card, chipset drivers,usb drivers)

It never hurts to have a PCI USB 2.0 card around...onboard USB and NIC functions seem to be more susceptible to failure (IMO) than other onboard functions.

i never seen them fail
they seem to be the things that last longer

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:34 AM

could be just a driver problem
update every thing(sound card, chipset drivers,usb drivers)

Agreed on the drivers.

One other thing that would not hurt is to go into device manager. Uninstall all instances of USB Root hub. Reboot and let XP reinstall them.

#10 Allen B.

Allen B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:41 PM

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted on what's going on.

Then I am starting to lean towards a hardware issue. Possibly centering around either the power supply or motherboard.

Sure hope not :thumbsup:

#11 Allen B.

Allen B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:50 PM

Drivers were already all updated. Going on to reinstalling USB Root Hubs. Another thing that I noticed: in the HID devices category in Device Manager, there is one entry of USB Human Interface Device that says "Device cannot start" but when I unplugged all USB devices out of my computer, the entry was still there. I'm not sure if this is just something else defaulted into windows or if it has something to do with my problem. Any clarification would help.

Thanks,
Allen

#12 Allen B.

Allen B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:31 AM

I believe reinstalling the USB Root Hubs fixed the problem. Thanks for all your help, if it comes up again I'll be sure to let you know, but I doubt it will since it has been a week since I reinstalled the USB Root Hubs and the problem hasn't returned.

Thanks for all your help,
Allen

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:26 AM

Drivers don't need to be updated...current drivers need to be removed, via Device Manager...then reinstalled afresh.

The key is to remove the old drivers, rather than just trying to pile updated files on the system. The old drivers may be damaged and may not uninstall properly or work properly.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users