Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

avmon.exe

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 adabar

adabar

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 03:41 AM

Hi there - this is my first post. I am running XP Home on a Toshiba laptop with Panda Titanium and ZoneAlarms Pro.

Recently the systems keeps hanging. Yesterday I managed to get a response from task manager and saw that avmon.exe was burning 95%+ of the CPU. I found bleepingcomputer from a google search for avmon. I would like to know if avmon.exe is always bad or could it be a valid part of Panda? There are some other av* files around the system. A standard search for avmon din't show anything so the file is obviously hidden.

I am not up to date on XP maintenance because I get an error evertime I try to download the updates. I gather that this may be as a result of Panda?

Any help/info re the avmon.exe issue and/or the windows updates would be most welcome.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:01 AM

This file is always bad and is added to your startup by an unidentified trojan.

Please post your Hijack this log in the Hijack this forum of this board asap.

#3 adabar

adabar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:37 AM

Sorry to be such a novice but what is a Hijckthis log file?

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:38 AM

Im sorry i should have elaborated.

Hijack this, is a handy little tool used to survey a system and tell what is currently running on the system. And if a threat is found you can check it and delete it. Althought hijack this doesnt tell you what a threat is or isnt, you can always post your log here and get help.

If you want to download hijack this, it can be found here
http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip

Extract it to its own folder
Example: c:\program files\Hijack This

Do a scan and save the logfile, post it in bleeping computers hijack this analyzation forum.

#5 adabar

adabar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:05 AM

Many thanks - I will do this later today when I'm on my laptop.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:24 AM

How to submit a Hijack This log:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...s_Log-t956.html

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:58 PM

Just please keep in mind that all Highjack This Team Members are volunteers. One must practice a little patience, when waiting for help. I promise you though that they will get to you as soon as they are able.

And above all do not attempt to work on your log yourself. And only take the advice from an official "HJT Team Member".
Which will show under thier name and avatar.

One more thing. Do not reply to your own post. As the Team keeps an eye out for zero replies. If they see a reply they will assume that someone is already helping you out. Then I'm afraid that you may get lost in the shuffle.

How to Post a Highjack This Log

Edited by Scarlett, 13 July 2005 - 05:08 PM.

Posted Image

#8 adabar

adabar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:53 AM

I have now posted my hijackthis log - at the time of dumping the log there was no sign of avmon.exe. I also had a trouble free session on the pc. Whatever kicks avmon off seems to be triggered by something. A search of all files (inluding hidden and system files) didn't find a sniff of avmon. I am baffled. To my inexperienced eyes everything in the log looks fine - maybe one of the experts will tell me otherwise!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users