Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ie cant find page

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:52 PM

I run this desktop using winxp home, and connect with a netgear rangemax wireless usb adapter.recently, after uninstalling system mechanic (it was expired)i lost connectivity with IE and also my other security programs. Ad-aware won't update, no connection.Trying to install new System mechanic, can't connect to verify activation key. firefox, my main browser is fine.

when i open ie i get page not found. when i diagnose the connection i get :

---------diagnostic log---------------------------------------------------------------

Last diagnostic run time: 07/29/09 23:16:02 WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status

info Error attmpting to validate the Winsock base providers: 2
error Not all base service provider entries could be found in the winsock catalog. A reset is needed.
info Redirecting user to support call

Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection, Device=RangeMax Wireless-N USB Adapter WN111v2, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
info Both Ethernet and Wireless connections available, prompting user for selection
action User input required: Select network connection
info Wireless connection selected
Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i tried uninstalling ie7 and reinstalling it...no go...tried ie8...still no go

also tried "netsh winsock reset catalog" in a command window. "netsh winsock reset" and finally tried "netsh int ip reset"

Asus P8Z77-V motherboard, Intel i5-3570K unlocked Quad Core cpu, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz ram
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler, Samsung 128GB SSD with Win7 Pro, WD 500GB drive for data
Asus DVD writer, Corsair 600W PSU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:43 AM

It is System Mechanic that has done this to your system. If you do a google search for uninstalling your version of SM, you'll find many links to paged where people have the same issue you do. If you went to Add/Remove programs or used SM's uninstall, SM leaves things on your PC.

I found a link to this page. You type Uninstall in the first box and use the drop down to pick your version of SM and links appear below.

But read up on it first....knowing is half the battle..lol.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:23 PM

thanks...i'll read up on that. I used google for the error message, and have tried the solutions, but so far none has worked for me.

Asus P8Z77-V motherboard, Intel i5-3570K unlocked Quad Core cpu, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz ram
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler, Samsung 128GB SSD with Win7 Pro, WD 500GB drive for data

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:15 PM

Its not the error message that is the issue, its SM. It is still on your system and it has things blocked.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:05 PM

i've gone thru all the messages...found added entries in registry, cleared them all out. i think i've worn out my restart icon from all the restarts. i'm going to reset my router and reinstall the network connection and software. i have also tried forcing windows to use its own networking connection rather than netgear. all didnt work. i have also disabled firewall and a/v software while trying this. firefox works fine, but not ie or program updates.

thanks for your tips.

#6 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:29 PM

solved problem...wiped drive and started over. easy since i don't keep any docs on this computer. no issues now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users