Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing Up Data - System State

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Slomoz

Slomoz

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:14 PM

I'm way past due for backing up my system. I have backed up and restored to a new hard drive in the past, but it's been so long I've forgotten most of what I did and why -- so a couple of basic questions.

I'm planning to simply copy my C drive onto an external hard drive using the Windows Backup Utility. That seems the simplest approach. Is there any fallacy to this approach that I'm overlooking?

Should I also backup Systems Settings? It's my understanding that an operating system/registry gradually acquires glitches as it is used. Should my internal hard drive fail, I would install Windows XP onto a new hard drive using the CD that came with my Dell. If I restored the System Settings wouldn't I also be restoring all those glitches? So, what's the point of backing up Systems Settings?

Thanks for helping.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 genius12

genius12

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:28 AM

I think a backup should only and always be made at a point when your computer is in working state, without any glitches, without any malware, with the optimal settings. So I really don't think you should make a backup. First troubleshoot the problems you already have and then make a backup.

Genius12
" Determination is the cause of Intervention."-Muhammad Shariq

#3 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:35 AM

even better you can use Norton Ghost to make a complete copy of the HDD including system settings and registry.

but i agree with Genius12 this will still have the exact same problems (if any) that you currently have with your system, but on the other hand, will be a complete back up!

The version of Ghost i have got allows you to copy HDD to HDD or HDD to image, i've found it's easier to go HDD to HDD...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#4 Slomoz

Slomoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:27 AM

I don't have any known problems at the present time. I'm just trying to get everything I might need backed up in case the internal hard drive fails suddenly in the future. Backing up the entire drive just seems easier than trying to figure out where everything I might need is located and backing up selectively.

#5 Slomoz

Slomoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:48 PM

I've Googled and gotten the technical definition of System Settings and what they contain, but I don't know enough about computers to really understand Systems Setting. I don't understand the advantages and disadvantages (if any) of backing up and then restoring my System Setting should my internal hard drive fail and be replaced.

(I don't want to violate forum protocol, but should I repost this question as a new topic?)

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:45 PM

No need to repost it as a separate issue as long as it is within the context of your main issue. The rule of thumb is to keep the discussion within it's own realm of continuity. You're asking about backing up and all that it entails, so you're fine.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 genius12

genius12

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:14 PM

What KamakaZ said about Norton Ghost is true. And I agree with him. Norton Ghost is one of the best backup/clone utilities out there. I have it and it fulfills my needs. Give it a try. After all, it could be what you had been waiting for.
" Determination is the cause of Intervention."-Muhammad Shariq

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users