Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

browser issues IE & FF - has to be network prob

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 srjefe2

srjefe2

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:59 PM

XP SP3, wired to router to dsl modem

I have issues with my browsers loading pages. My home page (aol.com) doesn't always load - it tends to time out in both IE7 and FF3. Not only does my home page not load sometimes, other sites won't load either. It seems to load most what I will call top-level domains (aol.com, cnet.com, etc) But I tend to get issues when I get deeper into the site (aol.com/suchandsuchpagename.html or suchandsuch.aol.com).

Increasingly I think it's some sort of network or firewall issue. Yesterday I couldn't connect to anything. the IE timeout screen gave me an option to troubleshoot the issue. It went through some sort of sequence and then came back that it couldn't connect to any HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP. It suggested checking port settings too. I turned off windows firewall but nothing. There are no conflict icons in device manager. I have not changed the time out setting.

I have two other comps that use this router (vista laptop wireless, vista desktop wired). Both of these comps never have issues surfing using either browser.

I posted twice over the past few weeks in the web browsing forum but never got any takers, so I came over here to networking. After reading a bunch of these threads, I reset my tcp/ip and even physically changed my router ethernet cable ports. I did the calculator help options trick to access google and it worked. I tried my homepage through IE7 again but it timed out so I clicked on the diagnose problem and it returned that my connection was fine. So I typed google in my search box and it loaded right away.

I haven't restarted my comp or closed IE7 yet to see if the tcp/ip reset did anything because I don't want to lose connection again.

Now I'm here scanning the forums for answers and asking for help... finally.

FWIW, here's what my original xp diagnostics returned:

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
info Redirecting user to support call

DNS Client Diagnostic
DNS - Not a home user scenario

info Using Web Proxy: no
info Resolving name ok for (www.microsoft.com): yes
No DNS servers

DNS failure

Gateway Diagnostic
Gateway

info The following proxy configuration is being used by IE: Automatically Detect Settings:Enabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy Server: Proxy Bypass list:
info Could not get proxy settings via the Automatic Proxy Configuration mechanism
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 192.168.1.1
info This computer has the following IP address(es): 192.168.1.103
info The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer
info The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address
info The default gateway address was resolved via ARP in 1 try(ies)
info The default gateway was reached via ICMP Ping in 1 try(ies)
info TCP port 80 on host 1.0.0.0 could not be reached (Error code 0x274c)
warn The Internet host www.microsoft.com could not be reached
action Automated repair: Renew IP address
action Releasing the current IP address...
action Successfully released the current IP address
action Renewing the IP address...
action Successfully renewed the current IP address
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 192.168.1.1
info This computer has the following IP address(es): 192.168.1.103
info The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer
info The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address
info The default gateway address was resolved via ARP in 1 try(ies)
info The default gateway was reached via ICMP Ping in 1 try(ies)
info TCP port 80 on host 207.46.192.254 was successfully reached
info The Internet host www.microsoft.com was successfully reached
info The default gateway is OK

IP Layer Diagnostic
Corrupted IP routing table

info The default route is valid
info The loopback route is valid
info The local host route is valid
info The local subnet route is valid
Invalid ARP cache entries

action The ARP cache has been flushed

IP Configuration Diagnostic
Invalid IP address

info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.1.103

Wireless Diagnostic
Wireless - Service disabled

Wireless - User SSID

Wireless - First time setup

Wireless - Radio off

Wireless - Out of range

Wireless - Hardware issue

Wireless - Novice user

Wireless - Ad-hoc network

Wireless - Less preferred

Wireless - 802.1x enabled

Wireless - Configuration mismatch

Wireless - Low SNR

WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status

info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IPv6] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IPv6] passed the loopback communication test.
info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Network connection: Name=1394 Connection, Device=1394 Net Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=1394
info Network connection: Name=Internet Connection, Device=Internet Connection, MediaType=SHARED ACCESS HOST LAN, SubMediaType=NONE
info Ethernet connection selected
Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:11 AM

Since the other PCs on your home network can surf just fine, I'd say its not a network issue.

Do you run a firewall on the troubled PC? If you do, disable it and see if it works.

Has it ever worked? How long has it been going on? Did you install or uninstall something around the time it started acting up?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 srjefe2

srjefe2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:18 PM

On my very first post I added a bunch more info that I've written in my requests since. Pasted below is part of my original post:

I'm sure it's a setting issue somewhere but I did a few different things trying to fix my issues (to varying degrees of success).

About a year ago I had a bout of whataboutadog. After getting great help here, I followed advice and installed Comodo. That kept the boogey man out but browsing was just sooo slow. Plus for some reason the chat feature wouldn't work on Facebook. I clicked around Comodo settings but never could figure out what settings, what security level,....

So I just tolerated it since I knew things were basically ok. Fast forward to a month ago. I have 3 other comps 2 laptops, 1 desktop all vista (plus xbox) on same network. They all see each other but this comp has always been out of the loop. I've managed to get itunes to see and share libraries but it doesn't always cooperate. I tried MS help sites b/c I knew it was some sort of network setting on this XP machine. I ended up going in and playing with some of the network settings and installed some of the networking items (ftp, client for windows, etc). this comp still didn't pop up on the network. I'm sure I didn't set something correctly there too.

After doing this my FF stopped working. I got an instant error pop-up (don't remember what it said). But IE continued to work.

I went into Comodo and tried to see if there was some sort of setting in there that was giving me issues or at least figure out what kind of general maintenance I could do (quarantine/remove found files, download an update, etc). After giving up trying to decide between learn mode, safe mode, learn in safe mode.... I clicked to a huge list of 1000's of files. I think they were a log of .exe files that Comodo kept. It gave me options like quarantine, make safe, purge, etc.

Well.... I ended up quarantining all the files (this one was accident - I meant to purge). Then IE stopped working too. I ended up uninstalling Comodo and things really got a lot better. I turned on windows firewall for now. I reinstalled FF (it works). I installed IE8 but I didn't like some of the default features (bing) and thought it was part of my problem too so I uninstalled ie8 and went back to IE7 (it works).

I ran spybot and adaware (twice each), then ran disc cleanup and then defragged my C:

Like I said, I can access *most* sites except google and specific pages deep within sites.

--end--

Please let me know if you need any more info.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:14 PM

Well doesn't that shed some light on the issue lol =)

Just need to ask you 2 simple questions: Do you want the PC to work like it should inside 45 mins to an hour? OR Would you like to mess with it for a few more days and it might never be right?

If you are sure you are no longer infected. I would back up my important files and format / reinstall XP. Don't forget your Favorites and emails. This will solve your issues and you'll be happy in less than an hour. Remember to get the latest drivers and whatnot. Because it has been happening over such a long period of time, its just not worth messing around anymore. And trust me, I know how much it sucks to do this. I just did it not too long ago, only I was infected with something so bad I lost all info on all my hard drives. Bite the bullet and you'll be happier.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 srjefe2

srjefe2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:28 PM

You're not telling me to reformat my hd, are you? Just lay over a fresh install of XP, right?

I've got a few biggie apps installed including MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite that absolutely have to work once I come out the other side of this. I'm less concerned about stuff like itunes, browsers, games, etc.

I agree that if I just lay a fresh XP on my existing C:, this'll prolly take care of this stuff - but will it open other cans of worms? I ONLY have apps running on my C: (it's only 30GB); all my files, saved docs, etc are on a separate drive so I should be ok there (in theory).

I've been putting off getting an external hd so perhaps I could get one now, swap it out for my current internal hd and start clean there? Then if I have major issues, I could always swap back?

I'm not against a wholesale house cleaning but so that I don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, how about a checklist or a few pointers?

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:36 AM

Yes I am saying format and install new. If you have the discs you can just install those programs again, its not that difficult. But you do what you feel like you have to. I enjoy messing with an issue till I figure it out. But I like having my PC working alot more than messing with it.

And yes if you have the C drive on its own disc or partition, you can format it and the rest of your hard drive space will be just fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users