Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bare Bones Vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Derethman

Derethman

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:56 PM

Does anyone recall any posts on cutting back on Vista's foot print?

Thx in advance

Edited by garmanma, 01 August 2009 - 08:31 AM.
Moved to more appropriate forum

Copyright Derethman 2009 - All Rights reserved

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:57 AM

Are the suggestions in this guide of any help?
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

#3 Derethman

Derethman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:23 AM

"Bare Bones" ~ WARNING!! ~ This configuration disables many built in features of Windows Vista as well as several security features.
76 service settings have been changed from the default annotated by an (*) asterisk.
This configuration is not for a system that is directly connected to the internet as Windows Defender and Windows Firewall are disabled.
This configuration is not for a laptop system as wireless networking (as well as Defender and Firewall) are disabled and will not be able to counter attacks while roaming on some random wireless connection outside of the home.
This configuration is not for a system that internal network attacks are an issue. For example: Multiple PC's with multiple family members and inexperienced users. For this situation, I highly recommend "Safe" to ensure network security and Windows Update compatibility.
This is not for a system that provides networked resources, such as printers, Media Center, and WMP library to other LAN connected computers.
Use this configuration at your own risk. It is only provided here as a reference for me to adjust my system setting. If you tweak your Vista OS, use "Safe."

Ouch! But thx 1002 Richard S

All I wanted to do was delete some of the windows games that I never use. The idea now seems un-do-able at this point. It is an old system which I use Sketchup on, but i need to print and access the net from it. I have a big external HD to store files on, but access to it on the fly is slow. I'm at 85% on drive C:/ and get drive full mesg.

Any thoughts will be considered,
Thanks
Copyright Derethman 2009 - All Rights reserved

#4 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:35 AM

Sorry about that!!!

Much less radical suggestions and descriptions at TechSupportAlert - ad free, popup free independent site. I choose all my free software here and get loads of advice/tips. All software = freeware = free & legal

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-...ks.htm#ultimate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users