Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer rebooting when trying to unistall programs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jimmie#48fan

jimmie#48fan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:31 PM

hello my computer is fine if I dont remove programs or try to fix anything on it. It is a pain! I installed pc tools antivirus and with the quick scan no viruses so I did the update that was fine until I installed the downloaded stuff it rebooted so then I download microsoft live one care it was fine until it asked me to allow it to go on the internet and it rebooted. But before I did both those things it was rebooting when I tried to uninstall programs too or when I wanted to get some things off my start up, things I dont need to be on the start up. Can someone please help me? I am running windows xp pro, and it is a home built computer I think it is 1.3 ghz Amd, 512 mb ram 500gb harddrive. When it does reboot it does say invalid boot ini file. Thanks any kind of help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:43 PM

In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. An alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message (which is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD)).

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, right-click on My Computer and select Properties > Advanced tab. Under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure". Make sure that "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is unchecked. Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.

This will not cure your problem but instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with information displayed that will allow you to better trace your problem. Next time your computer crashes copy down the entire error message (including all the numbers) and post it back here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 jimmie#48fan

jimmie#48fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:11 PM

Ok I did all that and rebooted and tried to finish Microsoft Live One Care and guess what nothing happened so I tried to uninstall Audible Manager and it rebooted and didnt give me any blue screen or any info. just rebooted. Now what? Thanks

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:02 PM

Try running through the steps given here:

How to receive help diagnosing Blue Screens and Windows crashes
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 jimmie#48fan

jimmie#48fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:11 PM

Ok I tried doing what that page asked but when I unchecked the hide protected hidden files it beeped and rebooted. I tried doing the online scan and it stopped so I was going to cancel it and it rebooted. I am getting frustrated!!!! Well its late so I am going to bed. I dont know what else to do. Maybe there something else I can try. Thank you and goodnight!!

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:26 PM

A couple of things you can try.

Open up the computer and give it a good clean.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC

Test the memory.

http://www.memtest.org/

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:53 AM

FWIW:

Icrontic Diagnose with Memtest86+ - http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html Outdated, but contains basic useful info, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users