Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Please. DVD RECOVERY

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Doniell

Doniell

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

Here is my problem. I take a lot of photos. I always burn my photos down on a dvd when I get done with them. (have lost too many photos the hard way). I always thought that if I burn them on a dvd that they would be safe. GUess I was wrong. All my photos I had burned has just gone away. This is not the first time this has happened. Can sombody tell me what I'm doing wrong. I using a DVD+r then down at the bottom it say rw. Is there any program out there that can recovery my lost pics. I would like to have a free one. I did find one but it wants to charge me 30.00 to use it. I download some free ones but they did not recover them. The first one did. I really just want to know what i'm doing wrong and why this keeps happing to me and how to get my photos back? Thanks for all your help.
Doniell

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:08 AM

Not sure I can help but some more info might help:

- what software are you using to burn?
- what free recovery progs have you tried? (Just so you don't keep getting suggestions you've already tried).
- have you considered using 'Picasa' (free) for future backup? - sorry can't acces link at the moment

#3 RomeoRob

RomeoRob

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:43 AM

I think your problem MAY be by using RW discs , I personally always use DVD - Discs, and have never lost a pic, as yet .
I will look tomorrow and see if I can find a good program that MAY help you recover your Photos.
Do you have Picasa 3 installed ?.if so it will find ALL photos that are on your computer, worth a try, ''GOOD LUCK ''

#4 RomeoRob

RomeoRob

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:02 AM

Try this program, it is very good ;

http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva/

#5 mit2guru

mit2guru

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:19 AM

The first action you should take is purchase DVD+R's with no built in rewriting capabilities (RW). There are many conditions which lead to whether your data is recoverable. Yours odds increase since your using single track DVDs , DVDs with a "+", data can be neutrally wrote over "quickly erased" as the inner ring remains untouched. The age of your software also comes into play as older software will most likely support only disk overwrites (Full erase or blanking} which basically sets a new surface replicating a blank disk and must be sent out to a recovery lab. Newer software should only preform "quick" erases when dealing as single track dvds as this greatly improves the quality of overwritten data. There is a free utility which recovers quick erases, corrupted and damaged data from rewritable dvds and can be download at http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/. This utility has yet to fail me when recovery was possible in the home environment. If your DVD's are to far corrupted then its a forcewear/hardware problem and prob. time to purchase a new drive. This is a very general description of the possible issues. I'm sure there's an entire book out there you could read on this topic which would would be necessary to gain a full technical understanding. Hope this helps.

The free DVD utility is at http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/cd.html.

Edited by mit2guru, 30 July 2009 - 07:23 AM.

#6 Doniell

Doniell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:36 AM

Thanks so much you guys. I have spent most of last night downloading free software to try and recover them. I only got one to work. IT was called IoBuster. I have to pay to be able to copy them. I think my problem is the dvd rw. I will never use one of them again. The only things I can think of is one of my kids got on here and messed something up. My dvd drive is working perfect. My computer is only like 5 months old. I just wanted to say thank you guys for all your help. If you can think of anything elese please post. I'm trying to hold off on buying the software because money is tight right now.

Thanks again,
Doniell

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:54 AM

There's also Unstoppable Copier, which is free!

#8 Doniell

Doniell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:27 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know that I got my pics back. I used that program IsoBuster. Its was a life saver. Now to go and upload every pic I have taken since 2004 to a photo storage site. :huh: I think i'm going to buy an external hard drive to store all my pics on. Does anybody have any ideas on a good one to buy?

Thanks again for all your guys help.

DOniell

#9 RomeoRob

RomeoRob

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:40 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know that I got my pics back. I used that program IsoBuster. Its was a life saver. Now to go and upload every pic I have taken since 2004 to a photo storage site. :huh: I think i'm going to buy an external hard drive to store all my pics on. Does anybody have any ideas on a good one to buy?

DOniell

That is EXCELLENT news, indeed , WELL DONE .
I, also have that program '' Isobuster '' and can you please explain how you used it to regain your photos, did you have to insert the burnt discs that you had made ?
Thank You, Jimmy R .

#10 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:41 PM

Kudos to mit2guru and RomeoRob - you guys nailed the problem: the use of DVD+RW...

Any CD or DVD with the attributes +RW on them act as re-writeable media (i.e.: flash drive, zip disk, etc.) and allow users to erase and start over a certain number of times.

More than likely when Doniell thought he was adding to his collection, he was actually burning a "new" DVD and over writing the old data.

If you use any CD+RW or DVD+RW to store data, make sure you only format once (before burning anything) and one you format, treat it just like a hard drive - create folders on the media and drag and drop whatever you want to keep.

#11 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:36 AM

Glad you solved it!!! Going off topic slightly ....
If you do a lot of photo editing, you may find this free prog useful as an additional backup. Somewhere on the website it says ‘designed for artists’ and shows photo editing. I’ve used it for docs as well and it works fine.

This from their website:
“FileHamster provides real-time backup and archiving of your files while you work. It enables you to monitor specific files on your hard drive and automatically create incremental backups whenever those files are modified. It also enables you to store notes about the changes that have been made, allowing you to quickly locate a specific revision or provide a detailed account of the work you've done on a project.”

http://www.mogware.com/FileHamster/

#12 Doniell

Doniell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:22 AM

DOniell

That is EXCELLENT news, indeed , WELL DONE .
I, also have that program '' Isobuster '' and can you please explain how you used it to regain your photos, did you have to insert the burnt discs that you had made ?
Thank You, Jimmy R .

I just put the dvd into my drive. When I tried to view the pictures it would only say drag files to burn to disk. I opened up Isobuster and they was there. I just clicked on extract I think and it saved them to my computer. I then put them on a different cd. It was so worth the 30 i spent.

#13 RomeoRob

RomeoRob

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

Thank You so much, for your explanation, much appreciated . :huh:

#14 Doniell

Doniell
  • Topic Starter

• Members