Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop is crashing and wavy lines/strange symbols appear during crash and reboot.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 iancastro

iancastro

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:33 PM

Problem: Computer is crashing. Wavy lines and symbols are appearing before and during the crash, and appear upon reboot. Greek letters, blue boxes, moving lines, and sometimes shapes or smiley faces are on the sreen.
Computer usually crashes when watching a video, playing a game, or surfing the web for antivirus related topics.

My video of the problem :
note: This is the usual problem when rebooting after the crash. It normally takes about 10 or more reboots to get it back to "normal" display.

First time problem occured:
I was running World of Warcraft. The system froze up, lines appeared, and it rebooted. I did not install anything, did not download anything, or go on any sketch websites

Error message I recieved: The blue screen gave me one file where the error occurred and why.

File Nv4_disp
infinite loop

This error has showed up once, and only once, but the same symptoms occurred.

What I have done so far:
(1) Call Dell tech support. It was diagnosed as a software issue that was related to the game. I have been playing the game for 2 years -- its not the game.
I called again later and it was diagnosed as malware, they wanted to charge me $159 USD + tax to remove it. I refused to pay $159 and I hung up. I will be using that money to buy the hardware warranty instead.
(2)I have run Macafee antivirus, Avast! antivirus, spybot search and destroy, windows defender, comodo antivirus, and Avast! virus/worm cleaner. All results have been clean. This has been going on for a week now.

About my Laptop:
Dell XPS GEN 2
Windows XP service pack 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:48 PM

Hello ,I truly doubt it's a Malware issue. Sounds like a driver or software issue.
I am moving you from AII to the XP forum for better assistance.

Hopefully these will help you along.
How to troubleshoot a Stop 0x0000007E error in Windows XP
If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup or after Setup is complete, the computer might not have sufficient hard disk space to run Windows XP.
The computer BIOS might be incompatible with Windows XP, or it might have to be updated.
The video adapter drivers might be incompatible with Windows XP.
A device driver or a system service might be damaged.
If the issue is associated with the Win32k.sys file, it might be caused by a third-party remote control program.

This issue occurs if the graphics adapter is caught in an infinite loop

If you have a windows XP recovery/instalation disk, you might either try repairing the existing installation, or perhaps you might simply try to boot into the recovery console and run chkdsk /r
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 iancastro

iancastro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:12 PM

Thank you for your insight. If I understand correctly, I should first run the windows XP installation disk ( that has a repair option ?) first -- If that does not work, I should then use "How to troubleshoot a Stop 0x0000007E error in Windows XP", and if all else fails, I use the "This issue occurs if the graphics adapter is caught in an infinite loop ".

For the repair via the windows XP disk, can you be so amicable to list the steps for the repair? I am afraid of ruining my laptop.

thank you.

Edit: Error codes that I have written down pertaining to the nv4_disp error.

0x000000EA ( 0x89A9NDA8, 0x8A66F7E0, 0xAB943CB4, 0x0000001)

Edited by iancastro, 29 July 2009 - 10:57 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:49 AM

Have you tried removing the current video drivers...and then reinstalling same?

Damaged video drivers cause various problems in PCs.

Do you have a Microsoft XP install CD...or do you have recovery/restore CDs provided by Dell?

This link indicates that you have recovery/restore CDs...not a MS XP install CD: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...lang=en&cs=

The repair procedures referenced are for those with Microsoft XP CDs.

The stock card/chip issued with that system...is now several years old and it may be failing. I would remove the drivers and see if reinstalling does anything to remedy the situation.

Worth reading: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...mp;docid=347576

Louis

#5 iancastro

iancastro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:42 AM

One dell agent reinstalled the drivers, but no headway was made.
One questions: If I use the recover/restore CDs by Dell, all the programs that did not come with the system will be gone, but all the programs that came with the system ( e.g : word perfect, norton, Dell media experience..etc) will be there?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:56 PM

I tried to indicate this before...but no one, other than the manufacturer of your system, can define exactly how restore/recovery disks operate.

That's why I linked you to those two webpages. Dell defines how the recovery/repair/reinstall options work...these are not part of XP and any XP repair options cannot play by rules which have been defined by a manufacturer's recovery/restore disks (other than the Windows System Restore function).

Louis

#7 iancastro

iancastro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:58 PM

Okay, I am leaning toward the XP installation disk method. If I hit repair, is their a possibility of my computer being formatted so the error can be fixed?

#8 iancastro

iancastro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

Happy faces are appearing the blue box again. thats why I thought it was a virus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users