Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet security...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 malignaggi

malignaggi

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

Hello,
I have 2 wireless laptops hooked up on the same router/ modem network. It looks like the provider who hooked it up for me didnt make it a secure netowrk.

I was wondering if there was a way I can secure the network 'WPA', or do I need a professional to come out and do that?

If there is a way I can do it, can someone help me with step by step instructions?
I am using XP on 1 laptop and Vista on another.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KonamiYoto

KonamiYoto

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:46 PM

Hello,

Fortunately, it's pretty easy to secure a wireless network system: you need to log in to your router / base station (your Phillips unit), which is probably done by simply entering a special IP address
in your Web browser (try 192.168.1.1 if the documentation that was included with the router doesn't explain). If that fails, you might need to hook the router directly to the computer via a USB cable, though those are definitely rare systems.

Once you've hooked up, you should find a multi-tab configuration tool that has one tab labeled "Security" or similar. Click on that and you should be able to find "Password" as an option or button. Click on that and it should give the options of WEP or WPA.

~Zane

#3 malignaggi

malignaggi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:18 AM

Thank you for the response. After messing around with my router I was able to securemy connection.

Thank you

Edited by malignaggi, 30 July 2009 - 02:55 AM.

#4 KonamiYoto

KonamiYoto

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:14 PM

No problem, glad it's fixed. :thumbsup:

~Zane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users