Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Disk Space

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kiwee

Kiwee

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:52 PM

For some reason unknown to me there is something using up disk space to the point that I am now getting low disk space messages - today the disk space is down to 59MB - disk capacity is 9GB

I've looked and looked but can't find anything that is using up significant space. The only thing I have put on here in recent times (but that was prob 6 months ago) was Tweaking Toolbox program to stop my daughter mucking around with the settings etc

I know everytime I go into that program it creates a restore point - could this be the problem ?

Thanks in advance for any pointers here !

Cheers
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:15 PM

Try using SequoiaView to find out what is taking up all the space on the drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

You may try running "Disk Cleanup" from the system tools menu under accessories in Windows XP. If this does not free up much space, you may also want to try ATF Cleaner. Simply Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program. Under Main choose: Select All Click the Empty Selected button. This will clean out all kinds of unneeded goodies on your computer and might just clear up some space.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:11 PM

I know everytime I go into that program it creates a restore point - could this be the problem ?

Typically restore points are not very big, but that can depend a lot on what is being backed up. With your disk space being so low, Windows System Restore is no longer backing up your system so it is not making restore points. The only restore points you will have available to you will be the ones made by that tweaking program.

Edited by Stang777, 30 July 2009 - 04:21 PM.

#5 Kiwee

Kiwee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for the replies

I ran SequoiaView & ATF Cleaner. ATF Cleaner created 750mb of free space. This computer has been running but no one has used it in a few days and today the free space is down to 158mb. SequoiaView tells me that the file pagefile.sys is 1.2gb that would seem to be my problem ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:05 PM

1.2GB is not excessive for the pagefile, and reducing it in size might effect your computer's performance.

What else is taking up space?

A 9GB hard drive is a bit on the small side to be running Windows XP.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Kiwee

Kiwee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:28 PM

Sorry, disk is partitioned into two C = 9.75gb (158mb free) D = 8.86gb (7.2gb free)

I can't see anything else that is using vast amount of disk space other than pagefile.sys.

Thanks
Mike

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:31 PM

If the pagefile is 1.2GB something must be using up the remaining 8.5GB?

Do you have a lot of photo, music etc?

How big is the Windows directory?

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Kiwee

Kiwee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:53 PM

Windows directory is 3.56GB Program files directory is 1.6GB. There is just a maze of colors in SequioaView apart from a big block which is pagefile. Hardly any music or photos on there. Wish I could be more specific for you

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:02 PM

In SequioaView the coloured blocks (which represent files) are arranged by directory. So by moving the mouse pointer around you should be able to identify the different directories on your hard drive. Is their any directory taking up a lot of space?

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 Kiwee

Kiwee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

I can't see SequioaView anything else that is big like pagefile. Howver when I browsed down the folders in Windows Explorer Documents and Settings = just over 3GB Is that normal ?

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:47 PM

It depends on what you have in that Documents and Settings folder. You need to investigate further. Many programs (such as Outlook) store data there.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:42 PM

Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been backed up, renamed and saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista Users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point and Disk Cleanup.

and disable hibernate unless you have a laptop

http://www.opentutorial.com/Disable_hibern...n_in_windows_xp
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#14 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:18 AM

It doesn't seem like there is enough disk space left for System Restore to work. When one of my drives got less than something like 4% free space, System Restore turned itself off and deleted all my restore points. When I investigated that, I found out that is normal.

Just in case System Restore is working and making restore points, what Anitvirus/firewall program are you running?

#15 Kiwee

Kiwee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:20 AM

AVG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users