Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

S-video to Composite Video Conversion Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fletch02

Fletch02

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:46 PM

My brother has wanted to be able to hook up his laptop to his TV at college, but has been unable to since the laptop only has an s-video port, but the TV only has composite video.

So this summer break, he finally decides to break down and buy a s-video to composite video conversion cable. This brings me to the real problem.

The laptop won't output a video signal through the adapter. If you push the switch display button with the adapter cable attached, there will be a brief flash on the TV, but no picture will come up. Furthermore, if you hold the function key to see a list of available video modes, it only lists the computer's LCD panel.

For reference, the adapter he bought is this one:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_...duct_id=0203647

The adapter itself works, as we tested it with an original Xbox with s-video output. The s-video port on my brother's laptop works, as it will output through a regular s-video port just fine. We also tested the adapter with another computer to make sure it wasn't something confined to my brothers laptop, but it didn't work with that computer either. Both computers are similar models and are running Windows Vista, if that helps. Also, the actual composite video plug on the TV works fine, since my brother has been playing game consoles on it ever since he got it.

I've tried looking online for a solution, but the only thing close to an answer I got was too vague to be helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 partsdom

partsdom

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

To hook laptop to TV, the display mode is required to be changed to
Multiple Display Mode. Normally the monitor is set on single display
mode. Pls refer to below guidance to set up the display mode to Multiple
Display Mode:

Window XP
Desktop (right click ) ->Properties -> Settings-> Advanced -> Graphics
Media Accelerator Driver -> Graphics Properties -> Multiple Display (two
display must be connected to computer before you could use this function)

Window Vista
Desktop (right click) ->Personalize -> Display Settings-> Advanced
Setting-> Graphics Media Accelerator Driver -> Graphics Properties ->
Multiple Display (two display must be connected to computer before you
could use this function)

Please tune the TV international standard to the NTSC and PAL model .
Then please refer to the software of the graphic card, it maybe
mentioned how to set the interface if output to the TV.

#3 Fletch02

Fletch02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:48 PM

Setting up the multiple display mode isn't the problem. The problem is the computer won't detect that there is a TV hooked up to it when we used the adapter. I suspect that the problem lies with how the connection type switches, but I can't tell for certain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users