Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drives & sweet tea

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jaysnzees

jaysnzees

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:57 PM

Long story short, my kids spilled my wife's sweet tea onto the PC tower, and it has vents in front which allowed the tea to soak the hard drive.

It's a Dell Dimension E521, and the hard drive is located at the bottom of the tower, directly under these vent holes, and the hard drive is installed upside down, at least in my opinion, which allowed the tea to gain access to the internal parts of the hard drive.

My tech friend and I cleaned it as best as we could, but the hard drive will not make that sound telling you that it is working. No movement inside.

I was wondering if I could be instructed or directed to instructions on how to successfully open this hard drive an attempt to de-tea the parts. i understand it's very expensive to retrieve the info from the hard drive through the manufacturer (Samsung) so if I would be able to salvage this hard drive i could use it for storage, since i have already replaced the drive.

help me bleeping computer techs...you're my only hope.
What is thy bidding? My Master?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:15 PM

You can't open the HD & "de-tea" it.
Hard drives are sealed units, they can be opened but more then likely it is somply dead.
Liquids & electricity usually don't mix well.
Add sugar & it doesn't get any better.

I suggest simply replacing the drive.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:16 PM

its already replaced, I was just hoping to salvage photos and songs and stuff. Thanks though

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:35 PM

Well...if you are that hot to "try" to salvage...buy some recovery software for less than $100 and try to recover files once you think the innards have dried out.

I am not suggesting that this is what I would do or that it will work...but it satisfies that need to try a relatively inexpensive alternative.

Louis

#5 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:40 AM

it won't sork...the sugar in the tea prolly has turned to paste by now. thanks though

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:40 AM

A long shot. Purchase another drive, same make and model. If one can be found. It is possible that the info on the disk is still retrievable and that just the circuitry on the old drive is fried. Thus the reason it will not spin-up. Swap the new circuit board to the old drive. It`s a long shot and you may end up with two useless drives.

How irreplaceable is the stuff on the old drive? Gotta be your decision.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:59 AM

It might be one of those times...where you strike your breast 3 times, saying "Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa" and contact a real recovery service...and learn from this experience.

I wouldn't do that, but it's an option.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users