Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:23 PM

I wonder if someone could help me.I have XP pro for my os now.Awhile back I created a small partition and installed Vista also.I didn't care for it so I uninstalled Vista and merged the partition back.I hope I am explaining this right.Would I install Windows7 the same way.I am not to sharp on the computer so as easy as posible would be appreciated.I googled my question but don't understand to well.Also,if this works out well with your help,where would I get a copy of Windows7.Thanx,Tony.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:57 PM

Hey Plumber
Yes you should should be able to use the same technique to install Windows7. Just make sure you run CHKDSK, then Defrag the drive. Finally make sure the partition is large enough for windows7.
Best of Luck

Regards
~powerjuce

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:00 PM

It is suggested that Windows 7 be installed on a different hard drive, rather than just a different partition....and that's how I installed it.

I can't give a better answer than that.

If you had Vista installed on a separate partition on the same drive...then it seems to me that you ought to be able to install Windows 7 the same way. Win 7 and Vista both use the same bootloader, which is unlike that used by XP.

The Win 7 bootloader will take precedence over the XP bootloader...and will reflect your Win 7 install as the default boot option. To boot into XP, you will have to manually select "earlier Windows operating system" when the system first boots and presents the boot options.

One tentative guide: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/ho...or_from_scratch

Louis

#4 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:57 PM

Thank-you both for your help.I have read on a few different sites that they recommend installing on a different drive.I think I will hold off for awhile and see what happens.Thanx again for your advice,Tony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users