Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe/DNS Client [DNScache] Using 99% CPU

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:55 PM

Hi, for the past month or so, whenever I open my browser, it takes around 30 seconds for the homepage to load (no programs that use the internet will work at this time) and I check task manager and notice svchost.exe (the network service one) is taking up 99% of my CPU. Once my homepage loads, pages after that load normally, but occasionally it will happen again. I checked process explorer and found that it is DNS Client [DnsCache] that is using all of the CPU whenever this happens. Should I simply disable the DNS Client service? I don't know what exactly it does, but I have seen some people use it as a fix, but I would like to know your expert opinions :thumbsup:

Edited by xblindx, 29 July 2009 - 12:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:03 PM

Seems that you can't hurt anything by disabling it, http://www.theeldergeek.com/dns_client.htm

Louis

#3 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:28 PM

What does this part mean " If this service is stopped, this computer will not be able to resolve DNS names and locate Active Directory domain controllers." I read the real world answer too and don't quite understand it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,323 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:47 PM

The key line is the next one: Is this service needed? No.

Heck, if I spent all day researching technical phrases I don't understand...I probably should have been a coder or something other than what I am :thumbsup:.

The "No" was good enough for me, I believe them when they say that it's not worth considering.

Louis

Edit: This is not my professional line of work, so I don't evidence a professional approach to understanding or working with computers :flowers:.

Edited by hamluis, 29 July 2009 - 04:48 PM.

#5 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:46 PM

Well I disabled it, and everything seems to be running smoothly now, thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,323 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:50 AM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:09 AM

The DNS resolver service caches DNS lookups so that the system doesn't have to perform a new lookup every time you visit a website. Disabling the service means that Windows will always query your default DNS server when you visit a website. While disabling it will add some additional overhead to your Internet usage it ought not make a noticeable difference while browsing the web.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,323 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

Thanks, AA :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:54 AM

The DNS resolver service caches DNS lookups so that the system doesn't have to perform a new lookup every time you visit a website. Disabling the service means that Windows will always query your default DNS server when you visit a website. While disabling it will add some additional overhead to your Internet usage it ought not make a noticeable difference while browsing the web.

I'm guessing this is because of the above, when I open facebook/myspace pages, it takes a bit longer to load, not really noticable but I was just wondering if this is why?

#10 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:01 AM

And in addition to xblindx's question, is it the cache what you clear when you run ipconfig /flushdns?
My website: http://www.aommaster.com
Posted Image
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 35,997 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:17 PM

In answer to aommaster, yes it is.

I disabled the DNS cache service too. I manually connect to the internet, and when the connection was made, my CPU would spike up to near 100% for 4 minutes or longer plus tie up my internet connection for quite some time. (I'm on dial-up).

HJT Team Coach Carolyn provided the answer: I have a large hosts file, MVPS+ additional entries. Because I have that installed, the DNS cache service should be disabled if on Windows 2k or XP because it makes the computer very slow. I don't know about Vista or other OS's.

From what galadriel told me, what happens when you disable the DNS Cache service is that your computer will have to query your ISP DNS service to resolve the addresses. If that service should go down, you could use the Open DNS service instead.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#12 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:36 PM

Thanks Orange Blossom!
My website: http://www.aommaster.com
Posted Image
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#13 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:38 PM

This problem usually results from a huge HOSTS file, some anti-spyware and ad-blocking techniques can lead to a HOSTS file approaching 3MB or more, which means DNS lookup is a crippling CPU task.

#14 Clothahump

Clothahump

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:59 AM

Seems that you can't hurt anything by disabling it, http://www.theeldergeek.com/dns_client.htm

Louis

I stumbled over this page while researching the same problem: SVCHOST was eating up 50-80% of the CPU every time I rebooted. I read this, disabled it, rebooted and voila! No more problem.

Thanks, guys!

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,323 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

Nice self-help, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users