Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft and Yahoo

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:33 AM

Well they finally buddied up to take on Google:
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ss...e_on_longs.html

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:27 PM

Still not going to be any match for Google :D

#3 KonamiYoto

KonamiYoto

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:37 PM

I second the above post!

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:56 AM

I third the above post!

I don't like Yahoo's search page/portal; it's much too cluttered. Google is my homepage and default search provider and will remain so until I have a compelling reason to change.

#5 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:05 AM

I don't like Yahoo's search page/portal; it's much too cluttered. Google is my homepage and default search provider and will remain so until I have a compelling reason to change.

Seconded.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#6 KonamiYoto

KonamiYoto

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:10 AM

Seconded.

I third this.

Edited by KonamiYoto, 30 July 2009 - 11:10 AM.

#7 cadles

cadles

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:29 PM

They
finally
understood the moral

' unity in strength'

Edited by Pandy, 01 August 2009 - 03:12 AM.

#8 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:51 PM

I find it sad that shares from google dropped, MS and Yahoo still have a long way to go to catch google in usefulness.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#9 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:13 AM

I must be the only one not agreeing with you all, I myself don't use Yahoo Search or Bing, I'm a Googler (Is that the way to say it?)

But trust me never underestimate anything, Microsoft and Yahoo have a total of about 15% of the Global Search market according to here - http://marketshare.hitslink.com/search-eng...re.aspx?qprid=4

Over 80% for Google, although I think the figure in the USA is very different with 65% for Google and 30% for Yahoo and Microsoft.

In all honesty I always like the underdog (Not too much in this case), so for this I hope some good comes out of this for Microsoft and Yahoo and they eat into some of Googles dominance.

One thing I found funny was while reading the BBC Article on this, this is a Quote from a certain Microsoft CEO;

"Through this agreement with Yahoo, we will create more innovation in search, better value for advertisers, and real consumer choice in a market currently dominated by a single company," said Mr Ballmer.

Quoted from here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8174763.stm

Doesn't that sound very similar I wonder what part of the market that relates too as well..... oh wait it has 2 words to describe it they begin with O and S, what would that stand for hmmmm..... oh yeah it's Operating System, Microsoft is the company isn't it? that dominates a market by a higher percentage than Google :thumbsup: :flowers:

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

"Through this agreement with Yahoo, we will create more innovation in search, better value for advertisers, and real consumer choice in a market currently dominated by a single company," said Mr Ballmer.

Posted Image

#11 nodnarB7891

nodnarB7891

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:08 PM

I find Bing to be a very good search engine. In some ways, I prefer it to Google, but Google is the default search in Opera, and it's no-nonsense layout really appeals to me. Plus, Google helps fund Firefox & Opera, whereas Bing does not.

#12 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:24 AM

But.....but.....Google has Charts and Graphs!!!!!!

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#13 nodnarB7891

nodnarB7891

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:27 AM

I never looked at it from that perspective. I thank you for enlightening me.

#14 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:47 AM

It's more or less of a joke that my buddies and I make about Charts and Graphs. In just about any search that we make for pictures, there'll be charts and graphs (not all, but the majority that we do).

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#15 nodnarB7891

nodnarB7891

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:10 AM

In the majority of searches I do, there are charts & graphs of women.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users