Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell locks up on startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 idontno51

idontno51

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:10 AM

H..New to this forum.Needing a lil advice.I have a Dell that is 3 yrs old.When I start it ,it want to lockup.It happens when I first turn it on,I hit the button and it say dell and it starts to go and then locks up.The only way I can get it off it to push the button. Then wait for 30 seconds and maybe it will take 3-4 times to get it past the first screen.Then It works fine .Hard drive is making a little noise but runs fine.Can someone help me ? I tried a restore but no luck.Is there something I can do to help it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:29 AM

If there is no error message, I would suspect the power supply unit.

Laptop or desktop?

Louis

#3 idontno51

idontno51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

It's a desktop. it doesn't lose power when it does it or shall i say it doesn't power down or off.Just have to hit the buttom seeral times to get t up.Can I change he power supply myself? Thank for the get back

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:00 PM

Well...let's not assume that one suggestion...is THE correct one :thumbsup:.

Let's wait for some feedback from others.

Louis

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:14 PM

Of the two possibilities I can think of, Hamluis has suggested the first. The power supply. As electronics get older, especially inside of power supplies, they tend to not "output" enough voltage or amperage to get everything going.

With that being said, the other thing I would look at would be the hard drive. You stated that the hard drive is making a "little noise" but works fine.

Hard drives are also an electronic part but they are also "mechanical". Mechanical in the fact that they "spin platters" internally and are spun by a motor with bearings. As these bearings get older and start to "dry out" ( meaning the lubrication levels are not as if they were new ) they tend to be harder to startup thus causing power issues. After powering on and off multiple times, it is possible to "jump start" or "jolt" the drive into spinning at the proper speed internally and have your pc up and running at almost normal speed and condition.

I would recommend first backing up your computer and then running the manufacturers ( hard drive manufacturers ) testing utility against your hard drive and see what it says.

My gut feeling is that you have a hard drive that is about to "lockup" and no longer boot for you but I could also be very far from the mark.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:54 PM

FWIW: Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users