Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro + Vista + wireless + Mac WITHOUT simple file sharing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tsume

Tsume

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:30 AM

Having wasted many days searching for SPECIFIC answers, and only finding general information that is not applicable, I'm hoping someone can help with the following network setup:
  • The network has a total of 7 systems: 4 XP Pro machines, 1 Mac desktop with OS-X, 1 wireless Mac laptop with OS-X, and 1 wireless Vista machine.
  • Everything is networked together by a Zonet router with wireless capability, and the router is set up properly to allow communication among all the systems.
  • All the Windows machines (including the one with Vista) have the free ZoneAlarm firewall, and the local network IS set to "trusted" so the firewalls are not rejecting any communication from any of the networked machines.
  • The XP machines all have "simple file sharing" turned OFF, in order to allow different permissions for different users
  • One of the XP machines is sharing a printer and two folders from a 500GB, external hard drive, and the people want to be able to assign specific permissions for using the shares by different users.
  • They want one user (admin) to have full access to everything.
  • They want one user (public) to have no access to the shared printer or folders.
  • They want one user (staff) to be able to print to the shared printer, read and write files in one of the shared folders, but only read files in the other shared folder.
  • They want two other users (one of whom is on the Mac laptop, the other of whom is on the Vista laptop) to have full access to everything without having to log in as admin.
  • All of the XP machines have the admin, public and staff users, and they have the same passwords on each machine.
  • The XP machine with the shares also has accounts that match (including passwords) the accounts for the users on the laptops.
BEFORE all the accounts were created, when there was just a single account on each computer, and "simple file sharing" was turned ON, everyone was able to access the shared printer and folders with no problem (other than the problem that they didn't want certain people not to have access to the shared printer or folders). They got the idea of having separate user accounts, but couldn't figure out how to restrict access to the shares, so I told them they had to turn OFF "simple file sharing." After that, they were able to get all the XP machines to work as expected, but now the Vista laptop and the Macs can no longer see nor connect to the shares. How can they get ALL of the machines to handle the shares properly? That is:
  • One XP Pro machine sharing a printer and two folders
  • All other XP pro machines, plus two Macs and a Vista machine accessing the shared printer and folders, but with user-specific permissions.
Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:16 PM

I found this site on my first search and it was the first link. It explains what to do with each OS and its not using file and printer sharing.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Tsume

Tsume
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:51 PM

Thanks, CaveDweller.

The link you supplied was much like the stuff I had been finding, although it did have it all in one place. The one thing that was different was where it mentioned that it is sometimes necessary to use the IP address (instead of the system name) when connecting to the shares.

I have sent them email with detailed instructions for finding and using the IP address of the server. If that works, I'll have to have them set up the server as a static IP address, so it won't keep changing. If that does NOT work, then we'll have to figure out what else may be wrong, since that is the only thing mentioned in your link that we haven't already tried.

P.S.: Through instructions found elsewhere (but echoed in your link), they have gotten the Macs to connect properly by making sure to use "smb://" addressing. That means, at this point, the only remaining problem is with the Vista machine (big surprise - right - LOL!)

Update:
Using the IP didn't work, so that still leaves the Vista machine not being able to see or access the shared printer or folders.

Edited by Tsume, 30 July 2009 - 12:04 AM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:54 AM

If the MACs work by using the IP address then the only thing I can think of that is wrong with Vista is user error. They are using the back slash "\\" and not the front slash "//" right?

You emailed them so I'm assuming they aren't local. Have you tried remote assistance? Just so you can see first hand what is going on? I'm at a loss as to what it could be other than user error.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Tsume

Tsume
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:05 AM

The Macs were working with the server name - not the IP address, but had to use "SMB://" to get the right protocol.

The ARE kind of remote, but not enough to warrant "remote assistance." Actually, they are only nine miles away, but the road conditions by them are such that the trip from here to there takes about an hour. Also, since I don't have a vehicle, I tag along with my doctor friend when he visits the area clinic. Once he drops me off, I have to climb down a steep, winding, riverside footpath to get down to the house where these computers are. This is a third-world country, and there's quite a difference between the city where I live and the watershed area where this group of community-development workers is working. On some days, if one is really still, one may even see toucans or parrots in some of the trees. Here is a panoramic view, that I stitched together, of a spot just down the road from them:

Posted Image

Since it appears we have run out of emailable options, I do plan on going up there the next time I can hitch a ride with my doctor friend. I still would appreciate any helpful comments anyone may have so as to minimise the probability of having to go up there again. Thanks for the help, so far.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

whoa...that is beautiful.

The last thing I can think of is clearing out the ZoneAlarm Exceptions on the Vista and/or the XP "server" or disabling ZoneAlarm to test if they can connect. I am just spit balling at this point lol. I can't think of anything else that would stop it.

Good luck and be safe if you head out there.

#7 Tsume

Tsume
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

Thanks. It really is a beautiful area.

I Doubt that the problem is ZoneAlarm, else it probably would not have worked when the server had "simple file sharing" enabled.

That part still bothers me. When we first set up everything, using "simple file sharing," the Vista computer had no trouble at all. After we disable "simple file sharing," is when it started to have problems. All my searching, though, keeps coming up with things that say that Vista has "simple file sharing" disabled, by default, so it makes me wonder how it worked originally, but does not work now, especially since I can't find anything Vista changes that would be applicable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users