Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC freezing whenever USB is used

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jeremy2206

jeremy2206

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:43 AM

I have two USB ports on the front of the PC and four more in the back. It does not matter which one I use, the computer will freeze within a couple minutes of plugging it in. I am now in the process of manually moving all files to data cd's and will reformat after discovering (hopefully removing) a root kit. USB problem still exists and I am not sure if it is a software or hardware problem. Anyone ever her of this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:48 AM

Are you on XP?

Are these flash drive devices you are plugging in?

#3 jeremy2206

jeremy2206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:56 AM

Yes, XP. Any device I plug in to a USB port makes the computer freeze after a few minutes, sometimes I get lucky and I can have it plugged in for more time. Flash drives, BlackBerry, External hard drive, External DVD drive and so on all make the computer freeze.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

If you have an open PCI slot, a USB controller card might solve the problem
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815124007
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:11 AM

Have heard of some mobo`s suffering similar problems. Sometime even unable to boot if a USB device is plugged in.

Have you always had the problem or has it developed over time? I`m betting you plug the devices into any USB available, not always the same one for the same device. XP installs drivers for a USB device every time it is plugged into a different port then the last time.

Something you could try. Un-plug all the USB devices except your keyboard and mouse (if they are USB). Go into Device manager and uninstall all the USB Root Hubs. Restart the PC. Let XP re-install all the USB Root Hub devices. Then see if plugging in any of you devices freezes it up.

Could also be a software conflict between XP`s auto-run and any software you have installed for the particular USB device you are plugging in. Kind of doubt it though since you said that it is not always happening right away.

#6 jeremy2206

jeremy2206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:53 PM

OK, I uninstalled the root hubs and that did not work. I installed ati usb controller 2.1 and that did not work either. Computer still freezes when a device is plugged into a usb port. This is a problem that I have had for a long time, but I do not use the usb ports a lot, so it took a long time to figure it out. I want to reformat the pc, but thought I should try to get things like this sorted out before I reformat. I can get a usb controller card and try that. Any other ideas?

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:50 PM

Looks like you have one of the problem mobo`s mentioned in post #5.

You can do a Google using the mobo make and model+usb+boot problems or something along those lines to see what you may cone up with.

A pci to USB is always an alternative. Should work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users