Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE "vs" Google

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:04 AM

I was on the side lines of a interesting talk by a couple security experts about OS's, they are very concerned about Google's overwhelming net presence and prying eyes. It was said Google controls an extreme margin of advertising, data search and data collection also marketing, they have gotten so big that they have become a concern to many other security experts. It was brought up about Microsoft's dominance, one expert said that they were were not a "data collection agency" and were somewhat held in check by the myriad of other OS's. Then it was said well would that not be the case with Google, one expert said their foot hold in search and marketing will give them an unfair advantage and more opportunity to pry couple of people laughed. One expert said Microsoft is not in the marketing business a does very limited data collection their presence is pretty much limited to marketing their products where as Google is all about data collection and marketing, they says they track so much now that they are of concern to many security experts. I like many have run MS for many years, though in the early years I ran Zenix, Unix and all the early DOS stuff. I was following the blogs on Google wondering if a try was in order, but the conversation above has me thinking. I am sick and tired of things trying to pry into my life!

Did a little searching and came up with the following!
http://adage.com/mediaworks/article?article_id=138105
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/googl...t_dominance.php

Will be very interested in other folks feelings on the subject!

Phil

Edit: Moved topic from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

You'll probably really like this:

Yahoo, Microsoft reach search, ad deal

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:42 PM

I dunno, google, I mean thats their very existence is marketing, pretty much. and there are others out there. However, I can see why their a security risk and their probably yes, run by people who are somewhat crooked. however that doesnt change how crooked microsoft is.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:30 PM

The past week the news media has been beating up on Google saying how invasive they are and how much they know about our every move on the net. Let face it if there is a way to exploit us they do it. Last year I had a Google tool bar, in looking over my cache I noticed how much they were hitting me so I deleted and the size of my cache went down about 70%. The general public should do a boycott until they clean up their act! Either that or start a get rid of Google campaign!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users