Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NVIDIA Driver problem with Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:04 AM

I have an HP Pavilion DV 9000T Notebook. It is running windows Vista Business. I am having some major problems with the graphics, specifically the screen. The screen fluctuates b/w a gray color or bleached colors making it very difficult to see. Just before the computer showed these signs, the NVIDIA Ge force 8600 showed a yellow mark under the device manager. I tried to uninstall and reinstall, putting in the correct driver from NVIDIA. However nothing worked. I then tried to reformat the hard drive using the HP recovery DVD, but that still hasn't fixed the problem. Is this a graphics card issue, hardware issue. The computer is only 18 months old. Appreciate the help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:01 AM

When I google the specs for HP Pavilion DV 9000T I cannot find one that comes with a GeForce 8600. Did you have that put in after you bought it? Was that an option when you bought it new that I can't find now, 18 months later? If the answer to those two questions is NO, then try installing the drivers for a 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7600. I don't know if you have 64 bit Vista or 32 bit Vista or I would link it for ypou. The latest I found though for both OS's is a BETA version dated 9 Feb, 2009.

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:11 AM

The computer is a friend of mine. I believe he had trouble out of this notebook from the beginning. He sent it back and they replaced some parts, maybe one of those was a new graphics card. The hard drive partitions are weird also. There is the C drive with 24 GB of space and the E drive with 84 GB. Does that mean that there is one hard drive partitioned into 2 parts or two hard drives. The whole system is a little baffling to me. All I know is that the Notebook ( HP DV 9000) is 18 months old and looks and feels new. I would like to get to the bottom if the issue, before sending it back to HP. Is there anyway that the Graphics card could be faulty? I am reinstalling the OS from the HP Business Vista disk and will see what happens after this. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

#4 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:39 PM

I have good news and bad news! I reinstalled the OS using the HP Vista Business DVD. Everything looks great with the exception of one thing. It is giving me this error message every few minutes and the screen is flashing black. Display driver nvlddmkm has stopped responding and has successfully recovered. I'm assuming this is a driver issue. Some suggestions from researching this issue were to update the driver with NVIDIA"s beta driver 175. Is this a good idea. If I have to install another video driver, what is the best way to do that. Uninstall the old one, do I restart in b/w, should I turn off automatically locate best driver. Appreciate the help on this topic.

The Video card is Ge Force 8600 M GS.
Windows Vista Business,
2GB Ram
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:10 PM

Yeah that is definitely a driver issue. The trouble is lol that I have found several different causes and several different solutions........

1). Update your driver (I know, you are, lol, I'll get to that at the bottom)
2). It became a known issue back in the 2007-2008 timeframe and a kb was released to fix it. That KB was released at or about the time SP1 was released so it may or may not have been on the SP so you may or may not have it. I would definitely try it if I were you.

KB938194

3). If neither of those fix your problem, read this thread. There are several more different things there that worked for some folks depending upon what was causing it to crash.

Note: The thread in that last link is 2 years old so don't use any of the driver links lol. Also many of those problems may have been fixed in the KB I also linked.

Hard Drive Partition: Many computer manufacturers use two partitions. One is usually reserved for to store the back up or recovery stuff in and the other is for the end user.

Replacing drivers: Click run on the drivers and follow the prompts. The first time through deletes the old drivers and after reboot, it installs the new ones. If that doesn't work post back and I'll tell you how I do it. I'm not sure MY way is approved by anyone but me though lol.

#6 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:15 PM

Thanks DeathStalker for the lengthy response! The problem comes and goes. I think it maybe related to how hot the system is getting. I tried to install a new Video Driver http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_noteb...86.03_whql.html

It didn't work properly! After I installed it windows would not load up properly and I had to choose last known good configuration. I did not uninstall the old driver 1st, and just installed the new driver. What exactly is the best way to install this new driver. Remove old driver through device manager, add/remove programs, if I uninstall do I restart the computer (not allowing windows to automatically install a new driver). What's my next move?

#7 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:29 PM

Is this a viable option below:

Fix: Go to windows/system32/drivers and rename nvlddmkm.sys to
nvlddmkm.sys.old. Go to the nvidia directory and find the file nvlddmkm.sy_
and copy it to windows/system32. Using the cmd window (DOS box) type
EXPAND.EXE nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys. When the expansion is complete, copy
the new nvlddmkm.sys to windows/system32/drivers and restart the computer.

Your computer should now work properly.

You will notice that any uninstall and reinstall of nvidia drivers will not
remove the old nvlddmkm.sys file and will not overwrite it with the newer
version. You have to do it manually. I do not know why this happens but who
cares as long it is fixed.

#8 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:17 PM

I'm pretty sure that it has to be a hardware issue and specifically the NVIDIA Video Card. The screen shows lots of colors and lines everywhere. You can see this in the Bios. The people at HP said that the Video Card is built onto the motherboard, meaning that the motherboard would have to be replaced along with the video card. This sounds like a very hard job and what kind of price are we talking to do this. HP quoted me $417 to replace the motherboard and put in a 125 MB Graphics card, despite the system coming with a 512 MB Graphics card. I am really pissed at HP as this system was already returned to them for this same issue earlier, but didn't show signs of faltering until after the 90 day warranty window for repairs. Any Ideas.

#9 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:50 PM

Basically you are screwed unless you are adept at fighting through the lower levels of customer no service to someone who has a brain, (unless you got an extended warranty on the product, which if you paid for it by credit card you may have). Let's clear up the techno bullsqueeze they are laying on you first though.

Replacing the MoBo is not a big deal. There is really nothing on a computer that is a big deal to replace. With a laptop though you are pretty much screwed by the manufacturer becasue everything is proprietary. You can't log on to NEWEGG.COM, order a mobo, and replace it yourself like you could with a desktop. Also, there ISN'T a "separate" video card and motherboard. It's all one unit. The 8mseries "GPU" is nothing more than a chip on the Motherboard, a video codec if you will. So they are lying to you there.

Let me see if I have this right: For $417 they are going to replace your motherboard that has a top of the line 8800m GPU chipset in it with some crappy 128 MB 10 year old technology board they pulled out of a dumpster somewhere? This is after they already screwed ypou on fixing it the first time? Also, this isn't some ghetto version $200 cheapy laptop we are talking about, but (18 month's ago) a top of the line Gaming Laptop that you paid about $2700 for correct?

I donb't know what to tell you except fight the customer no service, keep throwing money into a computer made by a company that obviously is just trying to cheat you, or buy a new (used) computer.

#10 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:09 PM

DeathStalker,

You are so on the money with your comments. I couldn't agree more with your assessment. Who is at fault HP or NVIDIA. Seems like everyone that has the Ge Force 8600 Video card in their system is having a nightmare of a time. HP should replace the system and then bill NVIDIA or give an extended warranty like Apple " Apple Extends MacBook Pro NVIDIA GeForce Service Policy to Three Years". They are throwing computer's off a truck they are so cheap right now. Your right this notebook was about $2700 a couple of years ago and now it is a complete mess. I just ordered a friend a HP HDX 16T absolutely stacked for $900. It was funny though that I had a lady from HP telling me to upgrade the system I was about to buy to the better processor, otherwise I would be sending it back due to overheating. What kind of statement is that. You would think they would have total confidence in their computer's and not warning me that the notebook I was about to buy was doomed to be sent back. I'm sure she wanted her commission in selling me a more expensive computer. What kind of expense are we talking to buy a new motherboard and Video card for this system and how Do I know exactly what to buy. I'm pretty sure the model is a HP DV 9500. Doesn't this originally come with a Ge Force 7600 video card. Every high end laptop is overheating these days, why is that? All the problems occuring are NVIDIA compatibility issues with Vista. I have just started my own business in computer repairs! I would love a crack at putting in a new Motherboard/video card into this Laptop. I just don't want to have the same issue arise after replacing these two items. Suggestions appreciated. Read the below link.

http://digg.com/tech_news/Apple_HP_Dell_la...ners_sue_Nvidia

#11 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:46 PM

DaethStalker,

You are going to love this guys review of the Laptop in PC World. Read Below

User Reviews for HP DV9500T
Reviewed by: tonyaguilar70
Feb 13, 2008 5:27 pm

Duration of ownership: 6 Months

Strengths: By buying this machine I learned NEVER to buy an HP product again.

Weaknesses: HP is not honest and put machines out in the market knowing they will cause lots of problems.

Overall Evaluation: This is the perfect laptop if you enjoy restoring your system at least once every month, reloading everything and losing valuable information, then send it three times to HP for repair, get it back with same problems, and finally after 6 months, give up return it and find out they will take 10% for every month you owned it. Bought it at $2700 including extended warranty and after months of frustation, got $1080. Unbeatable!!!!!!!!! Went back to Sony (4th Sony), now a AR670cto, 1960X1200, bluray,8600GT GPU, for $2200, and all I have to do is to enjoy it as it should be. Thanks HP, I won't forget my lesson!!!

And another one: Talk about HP just gagging on this system and a complete PR disaster: Read Below:

Reviewed by: BlueRidge
Oct 28, 2007 12:28 pm

Duration of ownership: 2 Months

Strengths: Docking station options. Remote that turns computer on/off. 10 key numeric pad. I have found NO other computers with all of the above.

Weaknesses: I no longer have a dv9500t because HP sent me four straight machines, all of them defective. HP seems to have NO idea how to correct the problem.

Overall Evaluation: I absolutely love the feature set this computer had. Especially it's Quick Dock coupled with a remote control that could turn the computer on and off. Allowed me to totally close up the notebook and slip it under my monitor stand with the disk drive facing me. Very handy. Don't know why other manufacturers have gone away from true docking stations. Unfortunately right now HP does not seem to be able to ship a working dv9500t. They have sent me four. I have spent hours on the phone with HP and Microsoft. (Another story, but Microsoft's tech support is light years ahead of HP's.) All of the systems had corrupted system files right out of the box. Could not be corrected. Restore disks would not work as they give a SKU & Models Region mismatch. HP sent me 4 different recovery disks and computers with both Vista Home Premium and Ultimate 64 bit. Same issue. I had to finally give up. I have a Dell coming in Tuesday. If the Dell works perfectly, I know I am going to be dissatisfied for its lifetime because of the lack of a docking station and remote. (Hey, my old computer didn't have a remote either, and it was with such joy that I discovered one existed.) This is my first Dell so I guess we will see if HP can ever get me back as a customer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users