Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Emergency Fix Kills Bugs In Ie, Visual Studio

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:10 AM

Microsoft issued two emergency updates on Tuesday to fix critical security bugs that leave users of Internet Explorer and an untold number of third-party applications vulnerable to remote attacks that completely commandeer their computers...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/28/mi...tches_released/

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS09-034 - Critical
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (972260)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/MS09-034.mspx
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

Bugger, that's nasty looking. You know it's bad when MS releases a patch outside their regular cycle.

#3 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:49 PM

So that's what that update was for that I got last night.....

Also....what is their regular cycle again? The first Tuesday of the month or something? I can't quite remember.

Edited by scff249, 29 July 2009 - 05:50 PM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#4 jchedot

jchedot

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:00 PM

Second Tuesday of the month.
I finally got it all together, now if I could just remember where I put it.

#5 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

I got the update today? Why a day late? Or whenever it was out? (Witch is longer)

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:35 AM

The bug was caused by a typo by Microsoft programmers. They typed an extra ampersand (&).

"The bug is simply a typo," Michael Howard, a principal security program manager in Microsoft's security engineering and communications group, said in a post Tuesday to the Security Development Lifecycle (SDL) blog. Howard, who is probably best known for co-authoring Writing Secure Code, went on to say that the typo -- an errant "&" character -- is the "core issue" in the MSVidCtl ActiveX control.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/913...t?taxonomyId=85

Edited by Romeo29, 30 July 2009 - 12:35 AM.

#7 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:57 AM

I have had that patch cause an issue on Windows 2000 PC's, 4 that I know of so far. Users called me with trouble connecting to the internet with Internet Explorer. Upon launching IE it would open, then close immediately. Then a download file prompt popped up like it wanted to download something, I thought it was malware related at first. The internet properties (options)were missing 3 tabs, security , privacy and content. Rebooting resolved the issue on all 4 computers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users