Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer running slow and hard freezing (not virus)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 flx3971

flx3971

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:22 AM

Hi, My computer needed re-installing because it was cluttered and was infected, It was still useable so I kept putting it off, then one day it started to freeze, it then needed to be turned off at the socket. so I bit the bullet and got ready to re-install, I backed up the files I needed to an external drive, I deleted as many files off the computer as I could and removed malware, it seemed to run ok for a while with no problem (1 week), then started to freeze again so I thought I would do the re-install. It kept freezing during windows installation (full formatted the drive ntfs first). It eventually worked after a full day of trying, however it still froze the next day, so i formatted again. since then I thought it may be overheat so I re-thermally sealed heat sink to processor and added a fan to rule that one out, I am 100% its not spyware/worm/viral, and there is no malware present with backup files on external hd, also I replaced hard drive with a brand new one, still same prob, so that rules that one out as well, basically during install it will slowdown almost to a stop then continue for a while and eventually freeze, so could it be memory? processor damaged? or should I replace the mainboard? could it be psu?

Where do I look next??
Help appreciated in diagnostics on this one!!

Thanks in advance

Edited by flx3971, 29 July 2009 - 07:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

Error messages?

Louis

#3 flx3971

flx3971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:37 PM

No error messages at all just a hard freeze, thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:41 PM

Before I started to suspect hardware, I would do a clean install...without any external drives attached.

I would then see if/when the problem returns.

Generally speaking...if a system has problems after a clean install, then it's a hardware issue.

What hardware...is determined by a process of elimination.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 August 2009 - 02:48 PM.

#5 flx3971

flx3971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:26 AM

I did the clean install without the external drive attatched, the external drive is now connected to my other pc which i am using and its running with no problems, also I work at a university and the computer system there is more tighter than the ministry of defense (so I have been told) so i plugged my external hard drive in at work and did a virus scan, nothing found, i moved the files and formatted the drive before putting the files back on and it for piece of mind.
The problem pc has 2 sticks of memory so I could do the install with only 1 present and then visa versa, how likely would both sticks be damaged? i'm not sure?

thanks again

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:46 AM

IMO...troubleshooting memory issues is not quite as straightforward as some may think.

The ram module could be bad...if multiple ram modules, then you have to test each one in each RAM slot before writing anything off.

If the modules are not exactly the same, there could be timing differences between them...which could impact functioning.

The system bus may be the problem (not likely, IMO, but it can happen).

Bus speed/RAM speed could be a point of contention.

...and, the motherboard just might be particular about what RAM it wants to play with.

My experience is that a user is lucky if it's as simple as one good module, one bad module.

You might gain something by reading:

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html General data which could prove beneficial, even if outdated.

Icrontic Diagnose with Memtest86+ - http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

Louis

#7 flx3971

flx3971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:25 AM

The system will not allow me to test them because it crashes to frequently, and I cant even get through the windows install, however i have had this system for a year and a half and it ran fine until lately, not sure if memory is compatible with my other machine but will check and see if I could test it that way, I could go out and buy some new memory if you think that ids the real problem?

#8 TSquared

TSquared

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:09 AM

This has happened to me on my computer, which I got from best buy, it was still under warrantly(1 year), so I took it back and Geek Sqaud replaced the hard drive, which was the problem.

#9 askzeev

askzeev

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:45 AM

from self experience of similar story:
a conflict between SATA and IDE H/D's

I have Asus M/B with AMD Sampron CPU
the board supports 2 SATA & 1 IDE connectors
in use: one IDE (old) WD 4GB H/D + another HITACHI 320GB - Sata connector
-
freezing problems drived me crazy and I also suspected high temp. as the problem
I installed 2 fans: one on heatsink of G-force proccesor and 2nd as general cooler in the back of the box to ventilate the whole PC atmosfare
NO good news came up with the fans.

after lot of crashes my tecnition diaconected the IDE connector of one HD...
and all the bad was over !
-
to use the data on old HD I took a IDE to USB 2.0 adaptor
hope this is the clue
Z.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:36 AM

Well...I have a combination of SATA and PATA drives on my two systems...I've not seen any indication of incompatibility.

This board is an Asus M2A-VM, with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+.

The system crashing has nothing to do with test the RAM via Memtest, since Memtest runs from a bootable CD...not from Windows.

It was you who suggested that it might be a RAM problem...I just presented a way to check out your premise.

Louis

#11 flx3971

flx3971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:31 AM

I will check mem from a bootable cd using the software you recommended to me tonight and will let you know the outcome, I have a asus motherboard, running 2x sata 250gig hd's on raid stripe, also running a ide pioneer dvd writer and a asus sata dvd reader drive.

will post more details also later

thanks to everyone for your help

#12 flx3971

flx3971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:35 AM

I am starting to realise that this could be any one of a million things, but it ran fine for over a year before this started happenening??? ... I will try and elliminate memory with tonights test

#13 flx3971

flx3971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:42 PM

Did a full test on memory, no errors, all passed 100%

started windows from a fresh install, not added any other software yet, system froze on me

any other ideas guys?

Edited by flx3971, 04 August 2009 - 02:47 PM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:11 PM

Hard drive diagnostic.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Download and run respective test from manufacturer of your hard drive.

All drives connected.

Louis

#15 flx3971

flx3971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:34 PM

Tested both drives and were clear, should I set up the raid array again and then test again??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users