Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal Video Card vs "Dazzle"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:09 AM

Hi,

I'd like to transfer my VHS tapes to digital media and I'm trying to figure out what might be a-the best way to do that.

I've come across two or three possible ways to do this, either through a TV video card or through something like "Dazzle". I've even read somewhere that you can use your video card to do this.

I have a GeForce 8600 GT and I would love to know if and "how" I can use this card for video capture?

Any contribution will be appreciated, thanks,

John

PS Also, does anyone have an enlightened opinion on whether or not "TV video cards" have improved enough to make them a worth will investment?
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:21 AM

Your current video card would have to have the proper connections in order to hook up a VCR or DVD player or a cable connection. ATI use to make a "All In Oneder" video card that would do it. I don't know if they still make them or not.

I have used a TV video capture card and it worked well, for a while. When I reformatted and reloaded the driver and program, it would not work. I finally gave up on it. When it did work, it would not allow me to copy VCR tapes that I own in order to convert to DVD. The copyright was recognized and stopped it.

My brother has Dazzle, he used it to transfer VCR to DVD. I don't know if they were protected or just family videos. But he was very happy with it.

Hope this helped... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:39 AM

As pointed out...copyright protection on VCR media...can be a problem. There are devices which claim to defeat the VCR tape copyright, but I don't think anyone put a lot of time and energy into these.

I finally decided that it was not worth the time and trouble to copy via VCR to computer.

It's simpler to just find the desired movie in DV somewhere. That was the plan, I think :thumbsup:.

I've not tried Dazzle, but I have had 3 AIWs and currently use a Hauppauge capture card. Very good for TV captures, which is what I wanted.

FWIW: ATI still makes capture devices, as do Aver/Pinnacle, Hauppauge and others. Take a look at the respective websites.

Louis

#4 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback,

I really am more concerned with tapes other than movies, though if I can include movies I'd like to.

My VCR tends to be eating tapes about other interest and I would like to digitalized them for safe keeping and viewing. Some organizations seem to be quit slow at making digitalized versions of their videos available.

hamluis how long have you been using your Hauppauge capture card? Which of their cards are you using and would you recommend the same one or a different one? Thanks.

John

PS OH, I've recently gotten AT&T's U-verse service and I have a DVR with that service. So. I can record TV with that. But, does anyone now if there is a way to hook up the DVR to either record my VCR tapes from the VCR player and/or to transfer the TV capture from the DVR to my PC? (I guess I'll put this up as another forum entry.)

Edited by Johnz414, 29 July 2009 - 03:07 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

My first capture card was ATI AIW 7500, then I got AIW 9600.

After dealing with numerous driver situations that I felt were unnecessary...I decided ditch ATI cards and try Hauppauge. I have one of their legacy cards, http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_goplus.html I think I've had it 3 years or so, it was a 2005/2006 new product.

I have no major complaints about it but I feel the "need" to get a different card before the NCAA basketball season kicks in :thumbsup:. I record mostly sports events on TV, then take out the commercials (using Pinnacle software) and save the files for possible future viewing. I do this with a number of things :flowers: and sometimes I actually do go back and view them.

Anyway, I've been thinking about this one: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=1427 I would have bought it yesterday (money is just sitting here) but I really don't want it before basketball kicks into gear.

There are "better" cards but I'm not enthralled by HD or making HD captures so I don't care about that feature. I'm old enough to just appreciate the ability to remove some of the nonsensical commercials thrown our way...from things that I enjoy watching.

Capturing video is one thing, while editing is another. To me, it makes no sense to capture any event from TV with commercials and other interruptions...and not edit those out. To edit, you have to choose software. I like Pinnacle Studio 12 and Ulead Video Studio 10...neither of these are the latest versions (they roll them out just like any other consumer product), but they are fine for doing what I do or want to do. There are other softwares available.

As for VCR to computer...I did that with all of my sports tapes. Time-consuming that way...I believe they now have devices that can do it faster than normal let's-watch-the-video-tape speed, but I won't swear to it. I did all my conversions to digital the hard way (VCR to capture card video/sound connections).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users