Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fallout 3 crashing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Andur

Andur

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

Title says it all, random crashing in Fallout 3. Usually when opening a door to move to a new area, or it could be just walking around. Sometimes occurs when quick saving as well, which can be a real pain, since seeing as the game crashed a lot, I quick save a lot. Anyways, I've already tried that ffdshow solution, didn't work. Also tried updating my video and sound card drivers, no avail either. The event log in the control panel lists this with the application failure.

Faulting application fallout3.exe, version 1.7.0.3, faulting module fallout3.exe, version 1.7.0.3, fault address 0x002d37ec.

The fault address keeps changing with each patch update, these being examples:

Faulting application fallout3.exe, version 1.6.0.3, faulting module fallout3.exe, version 1.6.0.3, fault address 0x000e84ac.

Faulting application fallout3.exe, version 1.5.0.22, faulting module fallout3.exe, version 1.5.0.22, fault address 0x002d41cc.

You get the idea. Dunno if these are all in the same location, or if they all relate to the same error. These all of course happen during the kinds of situations I described, doors to other areas, just walking, etc. Again, I've exhausted all the things I could try, if anyone has anything else I could do, please let me know. However, if its a problem related to my system, please still let me know, I don't care if I have to update my system, as long as I know what the problem is. System specs are:
Windows XP
Service Pack 2
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+
2.41 GHz, 3.00 GB ram
Nvidia 8500GT graphics card
Realtek Audio HD Sound card

Again any help in this would be nice, be it solutions I could try, or confirmation I need to update my system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:48 PM

Have you tried defragging your hard drive lately, even if windows tells you it doesn't need to be?

Are there any new patches or updates for the game that you could try downloading and installing?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Andur

Andur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:08 PM

I've already tried a defrag, and I've already updated to the latest patch. Also tried unofficial patches, none of those worked either. Like I said I'm beginning to think its my system.

#4 sopcannon

sopcannon

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

try looking up fallout 3 on wikipedia I remember seeing a list of bugs for different systems may be some of these are in the PC version!

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:54 PM

Fallout 3 is known for the vast list of bugs it has. Are you running any of the expansions? I've finished the game without expansions and it was solid. Granted, it did crash from time to time, but I was usually able to play for at least two hours. Now, after I've downloaded Operation: Anchorage, The Pitt, and Broken Steel, I can barely play for one, often much less. Add on top of that, the game went from smooth to studdering. Fallout 3 is Games for Windows - Live so the patches are essentially forced on gamers every time they load the game. From what I can tell, it is a very picky about the PC. Some have issues, others have none. Have you tried the forums at Bethesda? They may be able to help.

3939.png

#6 Andur

Andur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:13 AM

I've had the problems since before any of the expansions came out. And before I never used GFWL, in fact I added it in hopes the patches might stop the crashing. And I've posted a topic on the forums, no such luck. I actually posted here in hopes someone had the same problem as I did, and found some way to stop or slow the rate of crashing. Or just confirm its my computer, since the processor is quite, quite old.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users