Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to connect to the internet or use antivirus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hemajang

hemajang

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:51 PM

I am unable to use the internet, antivirus, or any program that connects to the internet such as skype, AIM, limewire. I am however able to use firefox/IE in safemode w/ networking. I can also scan with norton in safe mode but no infections are found

I was also unable to run HJT or Malwarebytes, but after changing the name of the .exe i could run them and have logs of the scans

any help is much appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:55 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please subscribe to your topic so that you will be notified as soon as I post a reply, instead of you having to check the topic all of the time. This will allow you to get an email notification when I reply.

To subscribe, go to your topic, and at the top right hand corner by your first post, click the Options button and then click Track this topic. The bullet the immediate notification bubble. Then press submit.

Could you please post your Malwarebytes log for us to review?
Computer Pro

#3 hemajang

hemajang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.39
Database version: 2421
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

7/28/2009 15:47:46
mbam-log-2009-07-28 (15-47-46).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 113369
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 1 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 10
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 3
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{3aa42713-5c1e-48e2-b432-d8bf420dd31d} (Rogue.AntiVirus2008) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ModuleUsage\c:/WINDOWS/downloaded program files/popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{c9c5deaf-0a1f-4660-8279-9edfad6fefe1} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{e4e3e0f8-cd30-4380-8ce9-b96904bdefca} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{fe8a736f-4124-4d9c-b4b1-3b12381efabe} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2.1 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs\c:\WINDOWS\downloaded program files\popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowSearch (Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
c:\WINDOWS\downloaded program files\popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\WINDOWS\Temp\tempo-158479875.tmp (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#4 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

Could you please update Malwarbytes by going to the Update Tab in the program. Then please run another Quick scan and post back the log.
Computer Pro

#5 hemajang

hemajang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:31 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.39
Database version: 2524
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

7/28/2009 19:32:22
mbam-log-2009-07-28 (19-32-22).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 114231
Time elapsed: 15 minute(s), 47 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ESQULzcounter (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.

*** After rebooting i rans another MBAM search and the same file [C:\WINDOWS\system32\ESQULzcounter (Trojan.Agent)] is still there i have since tried 3 more scans and MBAM is unable to remove the file both in safe and normal modes

Edited by hemajang, 28 July 2009 - 11:42 PM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

Hello, I'll be helping you with this now.
We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop:
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the zip archive.
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all six boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users