Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer randomly restarts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rjwoodie

rjwoodie

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:13 PM

good morning everone
i have a compaq tower computer that randomly restarts itself for no apparent reason.
iv just formatted and reinstalled windows xp pro.
its running 256mb of ram with a 30 gig hdd.
while downloading windows updates it just reboots then comes up saying windows has recovered from a serious error, a log of thiserror has been completed.
any help wouldbe awesme thanks.
rj.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:56 PM

In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. An alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message (which is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD)).

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, right-click on My Computer and select Properties > Advanced tab. Under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure". Make sure that "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is unchecked. Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.

This will not cure your problem but instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with information displayed that will allow you to better trace your problem. Next time your computer crashes copy down the entire error message (including all the numbers) and post it back here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:38 PM

I think you do not have enough system to run XP Pro, I have a Dell XPS 8733 as a backup machine a real good old work horse. When I put XP pro on it it would do what you describe, I wiped it and put Home on it about two years ago and it has not blinked since. Pro I feel needs a decent amount of ram to run.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:09 PM

I think you do not have enough system to run XP Pro, I have a Dell XPS 8733 as a backup machine a real good old work horse. When I put XP pro on it it would do what you describe, I wiped it and put Home on it about two years ago and it has not blinked since. Pro I feel needs a decent amount of ram to run.

I have run XP Pro on a PIII 733MHz, 128 MB RAM, 20GB hard disk computer. It runs slow but with no problems.

#5 rjwoodie

rjwoodie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:06 PM

hey there people. thanks very much for all your help.
as instructed above i finally managed to get some error messages and have posted them here so i hope this helps.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_POOL_CALLER

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

check to make sure ay new hardware or software is properly installed.
If tis isa new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If the problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software.
Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Statup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x000000c2 (0x00000007,0x00000CD4,0x04140201,0xE11F8E48)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:08 PM

Check your devices in Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Look for any "!", "?" or "X" symbols.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users