Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which CPU cooler type is generally better?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ohai

ohai

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:06 PM

One with the fan aiming at the cpu like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835103007 or one with the fan blowing out like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835119091

Don't judge by the two that I showed you just those TYPES in general.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:15 PM

a lot prolly depends on what your planning on doing with it. with a proper fan setup (intake fan in front, exhaust in the back) the bottom one I would imagine, will provide much better cooling, especially if you plan on overclocking. A lot of my friends who overclock use that style. However, I typically do not, in fact I typically either use the stock fan and heatsink if its provided if not, Ill buy one with good reviews. I have actually used the very heatsink you listed as your first one in a budget build and it works very well, a little loud but very well. But I dont overclock, nor do i build machines to overclock. so to answer your question, the one you listed first will provide adequate cooling for you, it will even handle hard core gaming as long as its a well ventilated case, but the second one will cost more, but likely cool a little better, and prolly be a better option if you intend to overclock any, which I never recomend. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:08 PM

The second cooler is a heatpipe tower cooler, and they do a much better job of cooling CPUs. Only problem is space as they are a bit too big for some setups.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 ohai

ohai
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:00 PM

The second cooler is a heatpipe tower cooler, and they do a much better job of cooling CPUs. Only problem is space as they are a bit too big for some setups.

So basically the ones facing the CPU are for small cases or low profile builds?

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:33 AM

It is not so much dividing coolers by which way the fan faces, but by the type of cooler-block or heatpipe. Heatpipe coolers are the defacto standard for air cooling now as they allow larger fin surfaces and larger fans. Now, there are heat pipe coolers made with the "fan aiming at the cpu", like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835106061 . The smaller block/OEM type heatsinks work fine if you're aren't overclocking/overvolting. I have no problem with stock Intel coolers on the 775pin as long as you aren't pushing it. Monitor your temps with Speedfan or something similar and go from there, but that being said, I always go for the largest cooler/fan combo I can fit on the motherboard and inside the case.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 citruscomputers

citruscomputers

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:31 AM

Upgrade your system and go for watercooling.

#7 ohai

ohai
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:09 AM

got the domino alc

#8 ohai

ohai
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

-snip-

fixed
i meant to say SHOULD i get the D A.L.C.

Edited by ohai, 08 August 2009 - 05:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users