Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Panel Issues

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 gobirds895

gobirds895

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:36 AM

I have Windows XP Professional on a laptop my friend had no use for, so its now in my possession. I cleaned it up and made sure it functioned properly for the most part, and have had no serious issues with it, until now. Recently I haven't been able to access certain Control Panel files or My Computer files i.e. Add/Remove Programs, System Maintenance, Themes, and User Accounts. The message displayed is 'Windows cannot find ".......specific file........" Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.' I am confused because this message appears for several files throughout the Control Panel/MyComputer, not specific ones. I have recently changed the name of some of the files that were previously named under my friends' name, would this have anything to do with it? I have CCleaner, Spybot, and HiJackThis, and none have seem to come up with any serious malfunctions. If I displayed a HiJackThis logfile would anyone be able to help me solve the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

I have recently changed the name of some of the files that were previously named under my friends' name, would this have anything to do with it?

I would say yes. That is precisely why the files in queston can't be found.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

You should not rename files under your friends name but login as admin, create a new account with your name, then delete your friends account after copying whatever you want from you friends account to yours.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:54 PM

Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Louis

#5 gobirds895

gobirds895
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:37 PM

I cannot access user accounts on either my log in nor the administrator log in. How can I create a new account or rename the files if I can't even access them? I tried t restore my system, but it says no changes have been made. For some reason the administrator account is having the same issues as the user account.

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:39 AM

Most Control Panel options are run from the control.exe program with an argument of a .CPL file.

Here is a list: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313808

Pick Add/Remove Programs... Behind the scenes that would be:

control.exe appwiz.cpl

Click Start, Run and enter:

control appwiz.cpl in the box and click OK.

If Add/Remove Programs does not start, you need to troubleshoot that. Where are the files? They should be in the windows\system32 folder. If they are not there, there are probably copies on your HDD to copy in to the right place.

The Users Account applet is userpassword (there is no separate .cpl file - it is built in elsewhere).

control userpasswords

Can you run the control commands from your \windows\system32 folder?

A System Restore will not replace files that have been renamed/removed - that is not what it does.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:23 AM

Are you saying...that the system boots but you cannot access user profiles?

Since we have no clue as to what you've actually done that has contributed to your situation...I'd suggest a repair install of the O/S.

Louis

#8 gobirds895

gobirds895
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:26 AM

I have accessed the windows\system32 folder, but there are so many files, I dont know which one pertains to the control panel/account changes. Can I fix everything inside this folder?

#9 gobirds895

gobirds895
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:32 AM

Also when I click the appropriate .cpl files inside that folder, the system asks to be opened under a specific program, recommended Adobe Reader. When I open it under the program it says it cannot open the supported file type because it is either not supported or it has been corrupted.

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:27 PM

I have recently changed the name of some of the files that were previously named under my friends' name, would this have anything to do with it?

What kind of files were these and did you change the extension of the filename, that is the part of the name that comes after the dot, as in, .exe?

Edited by Stang777, 29 July 2009 - 12:28 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

Also...I have to ask why you just did not do a clean install when they system was given to you.

Nothing like someone dying and leaving a bag of possibly damaged goods...to someone who doesn't need the trouble.

Louis

#12 gobirds895

gobirds895
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:19 PM

I didn't change any of the extension names, the only file names I recall changing were the ones such as computer name and files under my friends' name, but no extensions. For example the user documents were enlisted under his initials followed by the file, I proceeded to change his initials to mine under system/computer information as i recall. The computer seems to be in good shape and I had no problems after running a system check and clean on it when I first started using it. This problem kind of came out of nowhere, and everything else works great, besides the control panel.

#13 gobirds895

gobirds895
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:26 PM

The error that seems to be repeatedly appearing is - Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe.' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To Search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

So it seems to be that the file that is corrupted is 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe.'

#14 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

I made those same kind of changes to my system when I got it without any problems so I am thinking that changing the name did not cause this problem. The fact that this problem did not occur right after you did them makes me think that too.

If you have access to a Windows disk I would run the system file checker to see if it can replace the corrupted files

Edited by Stang777, 29 July 2009 - 02:31 PM.

#15 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:05 PM

So the message that was posted as:

'Windows cannot find ".......specific file........"

now becomes a repeatable message of:

Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe

That is a little different :thumbsup:.

This could be a malicious software infection, and/or the file is really missing.

Look in c:\windows\system32 - does the rundll32.exe file exist? If not, it needs to.

Search your HDD for rundll32.exe and see if there in one someplace (probably) else you can copy in.

See if this MS article applies to you:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812340

The sfc /scannow should also do it if you have an XP CD of the proper version and Service Pack.

If no XP CD, replace the missing file, test and reduce the possibility of malicious software (malware).

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users