Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer freezing on startup?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rebecca.

Rebecca.

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:34 AM

I apologize if this is in the wrong area. If so a moderator can just move it to where it should be.

I've been having trouble opening Internet Explorer lately. I've been able to open it, but it always freezes before it has a chance to load anything on the homepage (aol.com). I have Internet Explorer 8 and Mozilla Firefox 3.5, which I have no choice now but to use Firefox because IE refuses to load.

Whenever I open IE, I get the following message:
Posted Image

When I click "Restore last session", the page completely freezes and all I see is white. When I click "Go to home page", the same thing happens. I can't do anything at all that will stop IE from freezing. But, on the other hand, Firefox is not having a problem whatsoever. I thought the problem could be that I don't have IE set as my default browser, but I can't exactly figure out a way to get IE back to my default browser.

Questions I need answers to:
* What can/do I do to stop IE from freezing?
* Could its problem be that it isn't set as the default browser?
* Can an infection of some sort be the possible reason for this?
* How do I reset the default browser?

Also-
I am using Microsoft Windows XP.

Thank you to anyone who can help me with my problem or answer my questions. It's greatly appreciated.
-Rebecca

And so the lion fell in love with the lamb.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:49 PM

Hi Rebecca,

First let's clear temporary Internet files and other cached information.

Go to Control Panel, click Internet Options.

Under the General tab > Browsing history > click delete.

Posted Image

In the window that opens > check all boxes highlighted in image below and click delete.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users